Six Feet Under The Stars

Alex's POV:

I took a right off the highway. Finally, some normal roads! I could tell Marina was excited by the way that she squeezed my hand. Only fifteen more minutes until we reached our summer home. We hadn't been able to use it very often with all the kids, but now that we had closed up shop, we had some time to go to the camp and set everything up. Especially because it would be a family reunion with the bands. Everyone but Rian and Cass, who were off visiting Europe. 

"Mummy, mummy! Can me and Max go swimming at the lake?" Peter asked from the back.

"You gotta wait until we unpack, and then I'll take you in." Marina answered. "And you can only go in if there's an adult in the water."

"Do I gotta wear my lifejacket?"

"Of course you do." Marina answered.

"But I don't want to!"

I could tell Peter was getting hungry and a little cranky.

"Do you want to drown?" Marina countered.

"No."

"Then you have to wear it."

"But I won't drown! I swim good!" He replied.

"I know you do, baby mine, but it's just a little too soon. Maybe tomorrow when things are less crazy I can teach you a few more strokes." She reassured. Marina was great at not letting the kids argue with her, but also not making them upset in the process.

"Okay." He answered. 

"What do you wanna do, Brian?" I asked, looking in the rear view mirror at him. Brian was our quiet boy. Peter got a little bossy with Brian, but as long as he had someone to play football with, he didn't care. I tried to make sure he felt included.

"I wanna go on the bike boat."

He kept calling the paddle boat the bike boat because of the pedals.

"What do you want for lunch?" Marina asked.

"Cheeseburger. With lettuce."

Brian had this weird thing with lettuce. He loved how crunchy it was, and how juicy too. He hated chips because they got all mushy after being chewed. 

"I'm so glad you love your vegetables, Brian." Marina said. "Stella doesn't like hers."

Stella laughed from the back.

"You think this is some joke, little girl?" Marina reached back and tickled her. She laughed even harder.

We continued the small talk for another ten minutes until we reached the lake house. Jimmy woke up right when we got there and needed to be nursed. Luckily, Peter offered to help with the bags a little bit. I let him roll the little suitcase into the basement for me. It was the kid's anyway. Stella wouldn't let go of Marina for her life. She sat at her feet and waited for attention. Marina spoke softly to keep her occupied, but was visibly overwhelmed. Within moments another car rolled up. I peeked to the driveway to see a honda minivan with the back row of seats covered in suitcases. It was hauling a small camper behind. A large, tattooed man was driving. Did I mention that Zack drove a minivan now?

A little, ten year old brunette girl with hazel eyes ran out and scooped up Stella in her arms. "How are you, Marina?" She asked.

"I'm wonderful, Hazel, how are you?" Marina replied, relief struck onto her face.

"I'm good." She said before running off with a giggling Stella. Hazel was definitely a tomboy, but her feminine side came out whenever she grabbed Stella to play with her as if she were her little doll.