CHAPTER TWO - One very long Monday - PART ONE

Tyson POV

I was running late for class again but that didn’t make me speed up. I’d been working three nights in a row. My whole body was in bruises and I was so tired that I should’ve been given a medal for showing up at all. That’s how I saw it anyway. Apparently, my homeroom teacher - Mr. Johnson, disagreed.

“How nice of you to finally join us!” Was the sarcastic greeting I got from him when I opened the classroom door.

Why did teachers always replay with something as prosaic as that whenever someone was late? I heard him giving me detention, but I didn’t even bother to make up an excuse and try to get out of it. I just stalked to my seat in the back of the classroom. But before I reached my destination I saw that the one next to it (that was usually empty ‘cause I scared anybody who attempted to sit there) was now taken by somebody new. Well, new for the class anyway, because I would recognize her anywhere. She kept her head down and her brown hair was covering her face but I knew it was her; I knew it was the girl I got in a fight with just a few nights ago. Hope she wouldn’t cause a scene, I hated those. She glanced at me briefly when I sat down and I tried to read her eyes. Her stare was completely blank: there was no surprise, no glimmer of recognition, no anger, no fear.

How could she not recognize me?! Yes, we met only once and yes, it had been dark, but it wasn’t that dark! If I saw her features clearly, then she must have seen mine. I mean we were practically face to face at some point. Besides, eyes like mine were hard to forget.

How come she did not remember me?

I frowned and looked through the window on my left. That was why I choose to sit here – so that I could stare through it. It was how I’d spent my time in this and many other classes. I would gaze out and watch whatever’s happening there. It was usually more intriguing than what happened during lessons.

But today I couldn’t help but sneak glances at the girl sitting to my right. She spent the whole time doodling in her very scruffy notebook not paying any attention to the teacher or anyone else. Not paying any attention to me. She was just sitting there drawing some complicated twisted designs and bobbing her head rhythmically. It took me a while to realize her long hair was hiding a set of headphones.

I wondered what she was listening to.

Why should I care?” Was my next thought.

I looked at the clock that was located over the door. Great, ten more minutes! That’s ten too many for my liking! I looked at the girl again. She had opened a new page and had started sketching a face. Not too bad I might add. It wasn’t as good as her doodles but still…

Ugh! Why was I even paying attention to the little bitch?

The bell finally rang and I was just about to get up when I saw the girl hadn’t moved. Maybe she didn’t hear it because she was listening to music. I saw that some of our classmates had already left but I decided to stall and pretended to be tying my shoe. I know, lame excuse, but it worked.

I heard the door close shut and realized that the two of us were the only ones left in the room. Suddenly the girl jumped from her seat and tried to grab me by the throat. Tried being the key word here because I caught her arm.

“Huh, she went for the throat again.” I thought and felt a smirk forming on my lips.

“What the fuck are you doing here?” She spat angrily at my face. I guess she remembered me after all. For some reason that made my smirk even wider.

“I study here.” I answered calmly, knowing that tone would work her up.

“You don’t seem like the studying type to me.” She growled and tried to hit me with her free hand. I caught that one as well.