CHAPTER SIX - The babysitters

Tyson POV

I walked into my best friend’s house. I didn’t bother to knock or ring the bell first. Angel and I have known each other for so long, I practically grew up here. His mom always welcomed me warmly to their home and made me feel like I was part of their family. I even had a key to their place.

“I’m so glad you came! Sorry for making you do this so often,” he said from the kitchen. I followed his voice there and saw him rummaging through the fridge with his head hidden by the door.

“You know I don’t mind.” I really didn’t. Growing up with Angel meant spending time with his little brother and two younger sisters. I didn’t usually like children much but they were a pretty decent bunch. “You know I like your siblings.”

“Yeah, about that… There has been a slight change of plan.” That said, he poked his head from out of the fridge. “They are having a sleepover.”

I froze at his words.

Oh, he better be joking!

“So, instead of one boy and two girls I’m babysitting…?”

“No boys; Jamie went over to his friend’s house.”

“And how many girls?” I was afraid of his answer.

“Six.” He looked at me apologetically.

“What?! Angel, you want to leave me alone with six kids? With six girl kids?”

“I arranged for someone to come and help you out.” He hurriedly tried to calm me down.

“Who? Don’t tell me it’s that chick two houses away. She always hits on me; it’s pathetic!” He looked away nervously before hiding his head behind the fridge’s door again. What was he doing there anyway? Digging for gold?

“Oh, it’s a girl, but it’s not her.” He replied after a while.

“Really? Is she hot?” I asked on reflex. If I was to babysit six kids for him, the least my best friend could do was get me some eye candy.

“I believe I am if I can say so myself!” Alex’s smug voice filled my ears.

“What the hell?” I snapped my head to the direction of the kitchen door. Short size, brown hair, a challenging look on her face… Yep, no mistake about it; it was her alright. “Angel, you’ve got to be fucking kidding me! You can’t expect me to spend the whole night with her!”

“Can’t spend the whole night with me, huh? What’s the matter? Think you can’t keep up, Williams?” She asked mockingly.

“Shut up, slut! Angel, you can’t be serious!” I turned once again in my best friend’s direction. I was practically whining by now.

“Sorry, but I am. You’ll just have to make it work!”

If it was anyone else asking, I would’ve said “no”. Hell, if it was anyone else asking, I wouldn’t have come in the first place. But I knew how hard they had it being a family of four kids raised only by their mom: a woman who worked two jobs so she could take care of them. And me. Because no matter how short they were on money, she would always invite me to share their meal. Even when I got in trouble she didn’t turn her back on me and gave Angel money to bail me out. I paid them back as soon as I could of course. I knew all that just as I knew Angel had to help out and go to work too.

Which is why I sometimes babysitted for him.

“Fine!” I growled. “But I can’t guarantee we’ll both be alive when you return.”