CHAPTER FORTY-ONE - The fight

A/N: I’ve never studied martial arts or even taken a self-defense class so the positions and moves in this chapter are probably not that accurate!

*****

Alex POV

“You should get some rest,” Tyson commented once more.

“Why?” I queried although I knew his reasons; I was sounding breathless even as I spoke. “I’m fine.”

“No, you’re not! You’ve done nothing but practice for the last three hours.”

“Not true,” I protested, throwing hits at an imaginary target. “I stopped to drink some water.”

And I need to drink some more, I added in my mind. I’m sweating like a pig and my throat is as dry as the Sahara desert.

“Don’t be a wise ass with me, Alex,” he took a hold of my hands just as I was about to punch where I pictured Stefan’s jaw to be. “You can’t win if you are too tired to fight.”

I looked into his eyes and I could tell he was concerned about me. But with the fight less than a day away I needed to be in shape.

“You said it yourself, Ty: if I don’t practice, I’ll lose.”

“Yeah, and if you don’t stop now, you won’t be able to walk tomorrow left alone wrestle. Just have a time out and we’ll continue later… I promise,” he added when I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Fine,” I agreed reluctantly, sighing and slumping on the ground where my couch used to be. “Ouch!” I cried out; I’d forgotten we had moved my furniture to make more space to work out. “Not funny,” I muttered as Ty started to laugh at me.

“It’s been a few days since we relocated your couch and you still can’t get used to it! Besides, the face you made was kind of funny,” he winked.

As mad as I had been for him making fun of me I could not help but get over it; Tyson Williams winking while smiling at you had that effect.

“You might want to call Tara and Danny, they’ve been asking about you,” the boy stated as he sat down next to me.

“And Angel?”

“He too but I took care of him.”

“You didn’t tell him the truth, did you?” I queried, alarmed that I’d get a positive reply.

“Of course not. He wouldn’t have freaked out like Tara and Danny would’ve, but he would’ve been worried. He’d probably try to convince you to reconsider, to give up on this whole thing.”

I nodded. I was sure Angel would’ve done just as his best friend said.

“So what did you tell him, Ty?”

“The same thing you told Tara and Danny: that you’re sick thus skipping school.”

“And you?”

“I’m in the habit of ditching so it’s no big deal I missed a few classes.”

I nodded again. I hated lying to our friends but I knew it was better to keep them in the dark about my deal with Stefan.

“Thanks for that, Ty! Helping me out and even going as far as to lie for me, I mean. But you didn’t have to miss school; you could’ve come after classes.”