CHAPTER THIRTY - The five stages of jealousy

Tyson POV

“Hi, Tyson,” the newcomer greeted in a deep voice. “My name is Devon.”

I looked down at his extended hand. I imagined grabbing that hand, pulling him towards me, then headbutting him. He’d probably take a step or two away from me and that would be all I needed: I’d kick him behind the knees and lend him on his back. Then I could jump on top of him and hit and hit and hit… Right in that handsome bearded face that Alex seemed to like so damn much.

Would he scream?

Would he fight back?

Would he beg for mercy?

Would Alex do anything to stop me?

She probably would; she wouldn’t want to see him get hurt. She liked him.

Which was why I wanted to cause him pain.

I extended my hand and grabbed his, squeezing it firmly. I’d given up on brawling with this guy now. After all he had no idea I liked the girl he’d just kissed so I really shouldn’t blame him for doing it.

Yet I was still angry… and I couldn’t help squeezing his hand much harder than what was necessary for a handshake.

But he didn’t get intimidated by my gesture. On the contrary, his smirk grew more prominent as his blue eyes became darker.

“So, what brings you here, Dev?” Alex queried and I attempted to let go of the guy, but he didn’t unhand me. He held on to me for a few more seconds, looking challengingly in my direction and I started to wonder whether he had realized I had feelings for the girl next to him and if maybe he was trying to tell me he’d fight for her.

“Pawnshops,” he replied, finally setting me free and chuckled when he saw Alex’s confused face. “How about we go to your apartment and I’ll explain. You’re also coming, right, Tyson?”

Why was he asking?

Did he expect me to say no?

Or maybe he wanted to keep an eye on me?

“Sure, I’ll come,” I answered and both of us followed the brunette girl up the stairs and into her apartment. We sat on the barstools in her kitchen; me on one side of counters, opposite Alex, and Devon to her left.

“Oh!” The girl exclaimed, jumping from her seat. “You guys want something to drink?”

“Yes,” I responded curtly, thinking that some alcohol was the second best thing that could calm me down. The first one was wringing Devon’s neck.

“I’ll have what he’s having,” the guy stated.

“But Ty hasn’t told me what he wants yet,” Alex countered him and her lips twitched up almost insensibly.

He turned to me. The edges of his eyes wrinkled slightly as he narrowed his eyelids and smirked.

“Doesn’t matter,” he announced in the same defiant tone he’d used on me before.

What was he thinking?

To challenge me to a drinking contest?

Did he expect to impress Alexandra with that?

“Okay…” The girl took a deep breath. I stared at her in wonder; she looked like she was doing her best to stifle a laugh.

What was so funny?

“So, Ty, what are you drinking?” She barely let the question slip through her small lips before she pursed them together making her face contort in a weird grimace.