CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN - Girl talk

Alex POV

“So what was so important that you couldn’t tell me over the phone, Tara?” I queried, sitting next to the girl on her single bed.

“I’m dating Danny!” The redhead squealed joyfully and her face instantly turned a color to match her blazing hair.

“It was about damn time!” I exclaimed, giving her a brief hug. “So how did that happen?”

“It’s kind of your fault actually.”

“What! My fault? Why?”

“Well, as you know, our families went on a fishing trip together over the weekend. It was awkward at first since Danny overheard us the other day talking about… you know… me and my crush on him,” she bit her lip nervously. “Oh, man, I’m still embarrassed over that! Not that I have any reason to; apparently it was exactly what we needed. I had set my mind on not talking about it and he seemed to be doing the same but…”

“But what?”

“You know my cousins are about the same age as me and us teens decided to take a walk on the pier on Saturday evening. I don’t know how it was here, but the weather there was perfect for a stroll: it was warm but there was also a light breeze…”

“Tara, I’m not here for a weather forecast,” I whined. “Just tell me what happened between you and Danny!”

“Alright, alright! Somehow the two of us ended up alone on the pier. It was a beautiful evening with the moon shining and the stars…”
“Tara...” I gave a warning growl.

“I was just trying to describe the romantic atmosphere,” she pouted but quickly got over it. “As we walked, Danny suddenly stopped and looked at me with that funny expression he makes when he’s troubled,” she giggled and I rolled my eyes at her. “Oh, come on, Alex; you got to admit that he’s so cute when he does that! Anyways, he turned to me, told me that he’d overheard us and inquired if I really had a thing for him. I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me whole, I swear I did! My face burned, my hands became clammy and all I could do was gape like a fish out of water.” She turned to me with a serious expression. “I really thought that would be the end of our friendship. But then he continued to speak. I knew he was emotional ‘cause his accent was really, really strong. He said that he hoped what he heard was true because he’d been crushing on me for years. Can you imagine that?”

“Yeah, I can,” I responded although I was sure that had been a rhetorical question. “It became obvious to me the very first time I met you two.”

“Really?” Tara queried truly surprised.

“Nah, I’m just psychic,” I jeered and she glared at me.

“Do you want to hear what happens next or not?” She questioned, the previous giddiness gone from her tone.

“Of course I do!”

“So no more sarcastic remarks?”

“I’ll try!”

She rolled her eyes at me and went on:

“So I told him that yes, it had been true and we got to the point where… Oh, Alex, I’m so happy! It was the most amazing night. He proposed that we start dating and I…I…”

“… you accepted.”

“Wow, you really are psychic!” She giggled again and went on with a dreamy expression. “We spend the whole night together just talking and laughing… Danny even blushed when he held my hand as we walked on the pier.”