CHAPTER FIVE - Future trouble

Tyson POV

I was standing in front of a corner shop with seven guys, all of them at about my age. To someone passing us by, we would seem like a group of friends. But that person would be wrong.

These guys and I weren’t really close because we all knew that with us it’s every man for himself. I guess you could call us allies, forming a temporary fraction, until we move on to something better. I knew that none of them would hesitate to stab me in the back if they saw profit in that.

Yet those were the people I hung out with. You don’t have much of a choice if you grow up where I did. Right now we were just chilling, smoking and drinking, and some of us chatting. I kept myself quiet as usual. I was leaning on the shop’s wall and was just finishing my cig when I herd Bret wolf whistle.

“Well, well! Look what we have here, boys!” I heard him say. Bret fancied himself as a player, but he just seemed pathetic to me. His pick up lines were cheesy, his hair had so much gel on it that it looked like a petrol spill and he had the sleaziest smile I’d ever seen. His taste in women could be summed up as follows: not too ugly, not overweight and between the ages of fifteen and twenty-five; those were his only criteria and he sometimes ignored them, especially when he was drunk or high.

I didn’t even turn to see who he was talking about this time.

“Aren’t you a pretty little thing, girl!” This time it was Kent who spoke. Now this guy wasn’t a waste of space, little slime ball like his subordinate Bret. Kent was street smart; he was more observing than the other boy, always cautious with his words and actions. His constant encounters with the law had thought him that much.

“Why don’t you come here and have some fun with us?” He carried on speaking to whoever was the unlucky object of their interest.

“I seriously doubt you guys will be able to entertain me.” I heard Alex’s bored voice and my head snapped in her direction.

And there she was in all her five feet glory. Her hair was straightened and tied in a high ponytail. She wore no makeup except thick black eyeliner and maybe mascara. Alex was clad in a tight, strapless black top, short skirt that barely covered her ass and fishnets. With that and her two inch high, up-to-the-knee boots she pulled off the teenage hooker look like a pro.

What the hell was she thinking dressing up like that and coming to this neighborhood? Did she want to get raped?

Then again this was Alex; she probably thought she could just beat up anyone who tried to get their hands on her. And with her skills, she probably could.

The girl stood only about six feet away, but she hadn’t noticed me yet as her eyes were trained on Bret and Kent. The look she gave them sent out the you-are-wasting-my-time-I-don’t-want-anything-to-do-with-you message loud and clear and I was sure both boys got it.

But they decided to ignore it.

“Oh, I bet I can show you a good time!” Kent went on. “Here, why don’t you have some of this?” He extended his hand with the unlit cigarette he had just rolled.

It was a joint.

“I don’t think so,” the girl replied, turning to the left and finally noticing me. “Yeah, sure! Why not run into you as well?” She rolled her eyes at me.

“I’m not exactly ecstatic to see you myself,” I replied coolly.

“Tyson, you know the chick?” Bret asked me.

“We’ve met,” Alex answered for me while looking straight into my eyes.

“I would stay away from this one, Bret. She’s not worth the trouble.” I glared at her.