CHAPTER NINE - Nice Alex and Mean Alex

A/N: “Da” means “yes”.

*****

Alex POV

I was in the bad part of the town again. I knew I shouldn’t be here, but I couldn’t help myself. I missed the excitement in my life. Ever since I moved here I’ve stayed out of trouble. Well, apart from my fight with Tyson.

Tyson Williams.

One of the stars at the Ring. The boy was so good I’d heard of him all the way back home. Then again I used to roll with people connected to the Ring there.

The Ring was something like a… hmm… let’s just say it gave opportunities to make money. How you might ask? By providing a cop-free space for people to beat the crap out of each other under the ravenous applause of the crowd. Yes, the Ring was all about illegal fighting and the gambling that went along with it.

It was sort of an international chain with its own set of rules. No weapons or metal objects were allowed. The idea was to make a show, but whoever ran it didn’t want to leave corpses behind. From what I’d heard, they had quite a few cops in their pockets, but leaving a bloody trail was still not the smartest thing to do.

Of course there were the occasional slip-ups. And if things got too intense with the coppers, the Ring would simply disappear from that town.

I wondered for how long had Tyson worked there.

Speak of the devil! I just keep on running into that boy, don’t I?

*****

Tyson POV

The small figure was far, but I knew without a doubt it was Alex. So she came back here? Was she looking for me? Did she come to fight me? I hadn’t told her I lived around. But she could’ve heard that from someone at school. She could’ve heard that from Angel.

“One way to find out I guess!” I thought, approaching her. She had also noticed me and was coming my way.

“What the fuck are you doing here?” I less-than-politely greeted.

“Decided to take a walk.” She shrugged.

“In this neighborhood?”

“What’s the matter? Worried about me?” She teased with a playful glint in her chocolate eyes.

“As if.” I snorted. “I’m just sick of seeing you everywhere I go.”

“Then stop looking!” She threw her hands in the air exasperated, all signs of her previous blithe behavior gone.

“Don’t tell me what to do!”

“I will, if I want to!” She replied taking a step towards me.

“No, you won’t!” I moved forward as well.

“Yes, I will!” She got even closer and flashed me one of her signature challenging glares.

I was sure we sounded like two little kids bickering right now. Regardless of that, I wasn’t backing down. No way was I going to let this girl win anything against me, even a dumb, childish quarrel.

“No, you won’t!” I snarled again.

“Yes, I will!” Alex hissed back.

We stared at each other and excitement ran through me as I knew the moment had come. At last! We were going to finish what we started weeks ago. And then we heard them again.