Chapter Twenty Four - Aubrey

I slid into the booth across from him. I slipped my leather jacket off my shoulders and placed it next to me. We both ordered our drinks before we said anything.

"I'm waiting."

Shay cleared his throat. "I raced forward from you so that I could make sure that Glen wasn't there. I've never trusted him."

"Objection." I raised my hand and his eyebrows lifted. "Bender told me that you were there when Axel banished him so why would you think that he was back around the house?" I asked while taking a sip of my iced tea.

"Just because they are banished doesn't mean that it's impossible for them to come around us. It's not like there is a force field preventing them from coming. We don't really have enough people to set good patrols up to protect us so they could have easily slipped through our defenses. I just wanted to be sure." Shay said intertwining his hands on the table in front of him like he was acing an interview.

When I didn't say anything, he continued. "When I got there and checked around I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, so I headed up to my room to wait for you. I didn't really want to leave you to walk on your own but it always seems to work really well to have to push yourself without anyone making you. It is all about you wanting to get better then. That's what Iris used to do to me when I was younger. But anyway, when I got up to my room Chelsea was in there and she demanded on talking to me about Copper and Bittzy." Shay thanked the waiter who brought us our food. He got a huge hamburger and I just got a little salad. I thanked her and waited until she was out of earshot.

"I agreed, reluctantly." Shay continued. "She sat down at my desk when I sat down on my bed. I need to be able to at least sit down and talk to her about what she thinks should happen and if I expect her to help us fight Emile. She complained about how she doesn't like Copper being with Bittzy because she thinks Copper is a bad influence. I told her that I trust Copper and she should too, but she wouldn't have it. She swore that if I didn't do something about Bittzy and Copper then she would find some way to ruin me and you.

"When I told her that she could never come between us, she told me that actions speak louder than words and the rest happened in a blur. She sprung on me and kept me from pushing her back. She kissed me right when you opened the door." Shay mumbled, not meeting my eyes. I didn't know if that was a good thing or not. That could be him lying or it could be him embarrassed.

"How do I know you aren't lying to me?" I asked, trying to blink the tears out of my eyes before he looked up again. When Shay looked up, his face was completely hurt and when he saw my face he ground his teeth.

"I guess you're just going to have to trust me then?" He tried.

I nodded and looked at my phone. I had one new message from Copper. It said to call him ASAP. I sighed and smiled an apology to Shay who nodded.

"Copper what's up?" I asked. I had to pull the phone away from my ear because there was so much screaming in the background.

"I'm talking to her now Sandra! Shut up!" He screamed.

"Copper." I mumbled, running my hand through my silver hair. I played with my hair and admired how long it was. It went half way down my back and I loved it.

"Alright, sorry Bre, I had to go up to my room to escape her." Copper said and I heard him plop down on his bed.

"What's going on there, Copper?" I asked.

"Yeah it's kinda hard to explain, but Sandra has been acting really annoying lately. I don't know what happened to her while she was away, but whatever it was really changed her and I think that we should get to the bottom of it all because I'm so sick of all of this bull." Copper said.