Chapter Fourteen - Aubrey

I crept into Copper's room and woke him up. I told him to be downstairs in fifteen minutes, ready to leave. He nodded sleepily.

I walked quietly down the stairs only to be greeted by Sandra sitting in the kitchen and talking on her cell phone. I stopped on the stairs and decided to listen in on her conversation. She had her white robe still on and had a cup of coffee in her hand.

I tried to act normal when I saw her, but I will admit; I was surprised. Sandra was never up this early. She can hardly pull herself out of bed at noon. Come to think of it, Sandra hadn't been acting like herself lately.

"Yes, I took your advice and searched her phone last night. They are both just being so disrespectful! I just want them to understand that I want to be a part of their life and that I care about what they are going through!" Sandra was saying. She paused for a moment and nodded as she listened to what the other person was saying. I had no idea who she could possibly be talking to. "I know, but they just lost their father. Don't get me wrong, I didn't get along with that man but I never wanted him to die. I feel so bad for the kids. I didn't even think about the fact that they could be getting into drugs as retaliation! You're so smart with this kind of stuff."

I had heard enough. I had no idea who she was talking to but they were putting some strange thoughts into Sandra's mind. I jogged down the steps the rest of the way so that she would hear me. She quickly said goodbye and hung up the phone.

"What are you doing up this early, Aubrey?" Sandra asked, glancing at me over the edge of her cup.

"I'm going to hang out with some friends." I simply stated.

"What kinds of teenagers get up this early to hang out?" She wondered out loud and I mentally rolled my eyes.

"We do, Sandra. I'll be home later." I walked into the kitchen and grabbed an apple off the counter, biting into it loudly.

"What friends?" She screamed so suddenly that I bit my lip, startled.

"Shay," I mumbled, not looking at her.

She nodded her head. "If you think you know what this Shay is like then let me ask you some questions about him." She set her coffee down on the counter and stared at me.

I shrugged; "Let me have it." I acted calm on the outside, but on the inside I was panicking. I didn't know anything personal about him! My heart pounded while I waited for Sandra to come up with a question.

"What is his last name?" She asked.

I froze. What is his last name? I had no idea. Mr. Roberts didn't even call him by his last name in biology like he does with everyone else. I could just guess, though there was no way Sandra knew his last name if I didn't. "His last name is......Smite....warn. Yeah, Smitewarn," I nodded and acted confident, but I knew she wasn't buying any of it.

She looked at me like I was crazy, but didn't say anything. "Is he a republican or a democrat?" She threw at me.

What point was she trying to make here? "You know what, I don't have time for this right now! He is probably waiting for me and I don't want to keep him waiting, so see you later Sandra." I said and made the peace sign at her so that she wouldn't see me gesturing to Copper to go out the back door and walk around.

Copper nodded and watched me so that he could open the back door at the same time as I opened the front to ensure that Sandra wouldn't notice.

"Don't you see? You know nothing about this kid! You shouldn't be putting all your faith in him! In my opinion, I think that you should just ditch him and find a better kid to hang out with. What about your old childhood friend Caleb? He was really nice and I'm sure he has grown up since the last time you have seen him, if you know what I mean?" She wiggled her eyebrows and I gagged.