Chapter Twenty - Aubrey

What is it that Emmett could want from me and what the hell was that conversation with Caleb? There were so many questions bouncing around in my head and, like always, it seemed like I wasn't going to be getting any answers.

After wandering through the forest for what seemed like forever, I took out my cell phone and dialed Shay's number. Wait. I'm supposed to be angry at Shay for throwing Caleb under the bus. I couldn't call him because I would probably end up screaming at him. Maybe I could call Copper; he knows these woods better than anyone I know.

Dialing Copper's number, I hit talk and listened to ringer. When he didn't answer I got worried. He always answers the phone when I call.

"I'll just try him one more time." I reasoned, thinking that he just probably wasn't able to get to the phone in time. Dialing it again, Copper answered right away.

"Hey Copper, I need some help. I'm lost in the woods trying to get back to Shay and the rest of the pack. I figured you knew these woods better than anyone else so can you help me out?" I asked

I heard a low chuckle from the other end of the phone that sounded like a sexy growl. The hair on the back of my neck rose.

"You are so bizarre darling. I'll help you, don't worry. The more you try to run, the more I will hear you, but then again, if you stay in the same place, I will be able to find you easier. It's a hard choice, but I will find you anyway you choose. Oh yeah, and I almost forgot, if you don't cooperate, we have Copper, so yeah. See you soon." He hung up the phone.

Who the hell was that and why does he have Copper? My heart was pounding so loud in my ears that I could barely hear myself think. Someone was holding Copper hostage and he was coming for me now too. What should I do? Should I call Shay and tell him all that has happened and completely forgive him for what he did to Caleb? No. There is no way I'm ready to completely forgive him, but I am ready to keep living my life and I won't be able to do that if I'm held hostage now will I?

Lifting my phone back up so I could see it, I just looked into the screen, blinding myself in the ever growing darkness. I sighed and found Shay's number. I looked at it for a moment before I hit the call button.

"Hello?" Shay mumbled irritated into the phone.

"It's me." I mumbled back.

"Aubrey. Hey," he paused, "I don't know what to say about what went down before except that I'm sorry. I just froze. I was so sick of being always on edge about us that I just wanted a break. Caleb was the first person who came to mind and I had no idea that you knew him, honest. I'm sorry Aubrey, like, for real." Shay said in a strong tone but there were moments when his voice started to shake. I knew that he really was sorry, but I wasn't the one he should have been apologizing to.

"I'm not the one you should be saying all that to. Caleb deserves so much more than what you gave him. You totally tossed him away like trash and look what happened to him!" I took a shaky breath, remembering the real reason I had called him. "Shay, I'm in the woods somewhere and I'm so lost. I just tried to call Copper but he," I paused and thought for a moment, "didn't answer so I need some help. We can argue all we want when I'm with you and out of these stupid woods." I said in a strong voice, leaving out the ransom call on purpose.

"Alright well, can you give me some landmark so I can find you then?" Shay asked and I could already hear him starting to walk through the brush outside his house. I knew I would see him soon, but it was all about how fast he could find me. I was praying that it would be quick enough.

"Well I'm by a tree, a bush, and some grass. What the hell Shay? I don't know! If I could give you a landmark, then I would but I'm kinda lost, remember?" I growled irritated.

I heard Shay chuckle and despite how mad and scared I was, I smiled. "Alright, I'll be there soon." I could practically hear the smirk in his voice and I rolled my eyes.

I hung the phone up and sat down on the closest root I could find. If I stayed in the same place it would be easier for Shay to find me, and easier for the mystery man to find me. I sighed and looked into the darkening forest around me. This place was so peaceful during the day, but now it was just a trap waiting to happen.

I sat there completely still for only a couple seconds longer before I heard some leaves crackling to my left. I stood up instantly, not knowing whether I should run and hide or walk towards the noises.

I froze and shrunk into the shadows of the large tree I was next to. I saw the back off his head and the hair was a coppery color. He was shorter in size and built a lot like Copper. Oh god. It was Copper! He was holding his hands out in front of him so I couldn't see them or his face but it sounded like he was alright. The only thing was that he was breathing really heavy through his nose. Right before I reached out to grab him someone touched my shoulder.

I whirled around so fast that I smacked right into a hard chest and nearly fell to the ground. Whoever it was wrapped his hands around me and pulled me into them. Taking a deep breath I knew I had nothing to be scared of because Shay had his arms wrapped tightly around me.

I looked up at him and opened my mouth to say something, but I stopped myself. He had a frightened look in his eyes and he was looking past me at Copper.

I slowly turned around, just in time to see Copper fall to the ground and slam his head on a tree trunk on the ground in front of him. I sucked in a sharp breath, knowing how much that must have hurt. Pulling out of Shay's arms I ran to Copper who was now lying lifelessly on the ground with a huge gash in his head. I heard Shay whisper my name urgently as I pulled out of his arms, but I ignored him.

Kneeling next to Copper I took off my jacket and laid his head on it.

"Copper. Copper, you're going to be alright." I whispered to him.

I felt someone grab me around the shoulder really sharply for a moment, but then everything went dark. I fainted and fell over Copper. I could hear Shay running to me right before I lost myself in the never ending darkness.