Chapter Forty Four - Aubrey

I had been sitting perfectly still for what felt like hours, too scared to move or call out for fear of what may answer my call. My heart was pounding so hard in my chest that I was worried it was echoing through the room. I knew that there was someone in the cell next to me, but she hadn't woken up yet and I was beginning to worry that she might be dead.

I was in a room that was completely dark except for a lantern illuminating the far end and casting ominous shadows across the walls with every small movement. I knew that there was someone in the cell beside me, but I was unable to tell if there was anyone else in the room with us.

I had been waiting for what felt like hours when finally the girl in the cell next to me began to stir. She moaned as she slowly pulled herself into a sitting position against the back wall. We were both in cells with bars all around us, but they shared the internal wall of bars.

She had light brown hair that flowed in small waves down to the small of her back. Her face was covered in a mixture of dried blood and dirt. It looked like she had put up a fight against our captors.

Whoever she was, we had both been taken and she seems to be the only friendly face around here.

"Hello?" The girl called out as she carefully rubbed the wounds on her face. "I demand to know who took me!" She shouted so suddenly that I jumped and made a gasping noise that drew her attention to me.

"Hello? Who are you? Are you hurt?" The girl whispered as she painfully scooted herself to lean against the bars that separated us.

I took a deep breath and crawled out of the shadows so that she could see me, but I didn't say anything.

"You don't seem to be in as bad shape as I am." She mumbled under her breath as she took another deep breath and poked at her bruised face.

"My name is Nikita." She extended her hand through the bars so I could shake it.

My eyes widened in realization and I crawled quickly over to her so I could see her better.

"You're Nikita?" I exclaimed.

She raised her eyebrows and just nodded.

"Oh, thank God." I sighed and smiled at her. "I'm Aubrey, Shay's mate."

Her eyes widened as she put the pieces together too.

"You're the famous Aubrey? Wow, okay. So it looked like they took the mates of the Alphas for some reason. Do you have any idea where we are?" She commanded, now suddenly very intense.

I shook my head and glanced around nervously. I couldn't really remember anything. "The last thing I remember, I was in Canada. I was walking home from a bar when I recognized that Shay was waiting on my porch, but before I was able to get to him, some men dragged me into the woods and knocked me out."

Nikita nodded knowingly as she thought. "I was at Leo's birthday party. We were all drinking and next thing I knew, I was being dragged through an unfamiliar forest so I shifted and tried to fight. Obviously I didn't win." She whispered.

"Who could have done this?" I mumbled. I was so happy to have a friendly face here with me, but we were still both trapped behind bars.

My eyes widened as the big metal door swung open with a series of loud squeaks. A man with a knife sticking boldly out of his pants walked in. He looked so familiar and it took me a moment to put my finger on how I knew him.

I stood slowly and walked over to the front of the cage to get a better look at him. I knew that I had seen him before, but I couldn't seem to put my finger on where.