Chapter Sixteen - Aubrey

I lay on my bed with my feet propped up by the wall as I tossed the baseball cap around. It wasn't one of Shay's as far as I knew, but it would make sense if it was because he could have known that Caleb had kissed me and he could have gotten angry at him for it. The whole thing was just bizarre though. I never analyzed it but I was pretty sure that Shay wore the same hat every day and this wasn't it. This also wasn't the hat that Axel wore. I was so stumped as to who could have taken Caleb and also why they took him.

I tossed the cap up in the air and it landed out of my reach. I sighed, shut my eyes, and listened to Copper's light music through the wall until I heard my phone start to vibrate.

Shay hadn't come over last night because something had come up and now he won't answer any of my calls or texts. It was almost like he was acting guilty.

I scooped up my phone and didn't bother checking the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Aubrey! I didn't think you were going to answer because I have a restricted phone number! Oh man I'm so glad you did though!"

"And who is this?" I asked now really confused.

"Oh sorry," he chuckled, "its Caleb! Hey do you want to hang out for a bit? I'm having a party over at my place and would love it if you could join us!" Caleb said a little bit too loudly through the phone.

"Oh hi Caleb, I don't know because I think I have plans with Shay today, but..."I mumbled not wanting to disappoint him.

"But he won't answer any of your calls or texts right?" He finished my sentence and I sat bolt upright.

"How do you know that he won't answer my calls and texts? Who told you that?" I shouted

He chuckled and I could almost hear him smirk. "You told me, just now." He gave out a sexy low pitched laugh that made my heart jump.

Why is my heart pounding when I talk to him? He was beginning to make me increasingly nervous. I still had no idea what happened to him last night. But then again, Shay won't answer any of my calls or texts. I just wanted to know what was so important that he couldn't even shoot me a text.

"So when does the party start?" I asked and I heard him smile.

"You really want to hang out? Alright! Do you want to meet at my house at like 8:00? We can have some beer and just chill for a bit if you want? You still remember where I live right?" He asked

"Yeah I know where you live, but I don't know about the beer......." I mumbled.

"Oh that's fine, I guess, we can just figure out something else to do. No prob." He sounded disappointed.

"Yeah, I appreciate that because, you know, I have Copper to look after." I nodded and told him I would be there soon.

Right as I hung up the phone with Caleb, it started to vibrate again. I looked down to see that Shay was finally calling me back. I quickly slid and answered it.

"Hello?"

"Hey, what are you up to?" Shay asked.

"I'm about to go to a party at a friend's house. Want to come?" I asked cheerfully as I searched through my closet for something to wear.

"I don't have time."

"What do you mean you don't have time? What have you been doing lately? Why are you so busy?" I demanded, suddenly feeling slightly agitated and unimportant.