Chapter Thirty - Aubrey

"Shay!" I exclaimed, relieved, when I saw him walk through the door.

"Oh my god, Aubrey!" Shay whispered. "I'm so sorry. This is entirely my fault."

"You're shittin' me right? I just get out of a surgery and just wake up to see my boyfriend here to apologize to me? This is in no way your fault, so you can shut up and kiss me already." I rolled my eyes.

"Boyfriend? Does that mean that you have forgiven me?" Shay whispered as a small smile played on his lips.

"Oh, absolutely not. You have shattered whatever trust we had built up between us when you kissed Chelsea. For now though, I can't think about it." I sighed. I still didn't know what I felt. I knew that I had very strong feelings for Shay but it was also pretty obvious to me that he still had some pretty strong feelings for Chelsea. I just wanted, more than anything, to act like everything was back to the abnormal normal that I had grown used to.

Shay stood next to the bed and looked at me funny for a moment. He smiled and let out a light chuckle. I watched him expectantly for a while and raised my eyebrows when he didn't move at all.

"Well?"

He shrugged and I could tell that he was thinking about it. "The nurse told me that I wasn't allowed to get your heart rate up too high." He smirked at me sheepishly.

"What? Fuck the nurse." I exclaimed, and grabbed his shirt. I pulled him down to me and yanked his lips onto mine. He pulled away sharply because he was laughing so hard and I let out an exasperated breath with an eye roll.

He wiped a tear from his eye and sighed back into his seat next to the bed.

"How do you feel?" He asked after he calmed down for a moment.

How do I feel? Well, I would feel much better if he hadn't cheated on me, much better if I hadn't just found out that Bender loves me, and much better if I hadn't just gotten a shot in my stomach.

"I feel fine." I smirked.

"I'm so sorry, Aubrey. This is my fault. If I had just kept you safe in the first place then you wouldn't be in this position right now." Shay whispered and rubbed his face over with his hands.

"Would you shut up?" His head shot up and he looked at me funny. "This isn't your fault! We won the challenge! We should be celebrating right now!" I exclaimed, and winced when pain shot through my stomach. I lifted the sheet cautiously to investigate. I had a bandage over the left side of my stomach and it had a blood stain on it. I rolled my eyes and dropped the sheet so I wouldn't have to look at it anymore.

"We won at a cost, for sure." Shay mumbled and sighed heavily.

I plopped my head back against the pillow with a sigh. We have been so guarded around each other lately and I couldn't take it anymore! I needed to hear him talk, laugh, and just be carefree like we used to be!

"We killed Emile." I whispered and tried to meet his gaze, but he just stared at the floor like it was the most interesting thing in the world.

"Come on Shay! Please talk to me!" I pleaded, pathetically.

I sighed deeply when he just continued to stare deeply at the ground.

"How is Axel doing then?" I asked desperately trying to get him to talk.

When he didn't answer, I noticed a really annoying noise in the back of my head. I looked around to find the source to see that I was hooked up to one of the little heart reader machines. The room was pretty small with only my bed, Shay's chair, and the machines I was hooked up to in it. The room had a cold and hard look with its white walls and tiled floors which wasn't helping my mood. I watched the fan spin around for a while as I waited for Shay to answer any of my many questions.