Chapter Forty Five - Aubrey

I woke when an ice cold breeze lashed at my face. Tears stung my eyes as I looked around and tried to identify my surroundings. It was night and the moon was high in the sky. I was able to see a building in the side of my eye and assumed that I was at the high school. I couldn't remember anything that happened after Zyler came back into the cell later that evening. They kept injecting us with a strange milky liquid.

I looked around desperately for Nikita, but she didn't seem to be hanging on a tree like I was. My wrists were tied tightly with a rope that was then tied to a high branch. My feet only grazed the ground.

I tensed when I noticed a car pull up with no headlights on. I couldn't help but wonder if maybe it was just a random person. We were just at the local high school and there was nothing keeping a random civilian from driving up and seeing me hanging from a tree besides the fact that it was a Saturday evening.

Tears began to fall down my face when I say Shay come sprinting out of the car towards me. I don't think I had ever been happier to see him in my life. He was able to untie the ropes from my wrists and within seconds, I fell into his arms. He held me so tightly that I found it a little hard to breathe, but I wasn't ready to let him go either.

"I'm so sorry." He whispered and tightened his grip on me just that much more.

I shook my head. "You have nothing to apologize for. I'm sorry. I love you, Shay." My voice shook as I pleaded for him to understand. I was so worried that he was going to drop me right where we stood and then that was going to be the end of it. I figured that the conversation regarding the kiss had already been brought up and I wasn't going to be shocked to find out that we were going to be attending Bender's funeral soon. To my surprise though, he just tightened his grip around me and I nuzzled my face into the crook of his neck. I had never been so happy to be in his arms. It felt like a decade since I had last seen him.

"I love you too." Shay whispered with a small smile on his face. That was the first time that I had verbally proclaimed my love for him.

"Guys, I know this is a moment for you and everything, but Nikita is still in there." Leo stood a few feet behind us with his hands dug deep in his pockets.

"They have Copper too. He has to be in there." I exclaimed, and stepped back from Shay, instantly feeling colder on the inside.

Shay nodded, grabbed my hand, and led me to the car.

"What are you doing?" I demanded when he shut the door and trapped me in the car where Bender was sitting in the back seat looking hurt. Shay slid into the driver's seat and shut the door after him.

"I'm going to go in and find Copper and Nikita. I need you to stay here. Bender will protect you." He commanded, and I couldn't believe what I was hearing

"What? No way! I want to go in too! They have my brother. Plus, you need someone to watch your back!" I exclaimed, and went to get out of the car, but Shay grabbed my hand without looking at me.

He shook his head. "I'm not willing to risk losing you. I just got you back and I just need you to sit, safely, in this car and not move. I've got Leo to watch my back." Shay pleaded.

"Shay, you can't just leave me in here." I stated.

Shay looked up at me with jet black eyes. "You are either going to stay right here, in this car, or you are going to go home and waiting for me there. You are not going in there. Do I make myself clear?" He shouted angrily, making me wince.

I crossed my arms and shrank into the passenger's seat with a sigh. I could understand where he was coming from with his commands, but I was going to be his mate and he needed to learn that I'm not as useless as he thinks I am.