Give It A Try

“Hello, my name is Natalie. I’m one of Calum’s friends,” I said, holding out my hand.

“Hello, I’m Mrs Hood,” she replied, taking my hand and shaking it lightly. “Calum never mentioned a pretty girl like you before.” She playfully scolded her son who blushed profusely and then turned back to me.

“Sorry,” he mumbled. I chuckled.

“That’s fine. But I guess that means he also didn’t tell you that I invited him to mine for the afternoon?” I asked, already knowing I was going to get the answer that came.

“No! He never mentioned that either,” Mrs Hood exclaimed. “Calum, why wouldn’t you go with her? She’s lovely.”

“I was going to help you remember mum?” He whispered.

“Oh pish posh, I can do the shopping on my own. You go with Natalie and be home by ten. Have a good time you two,” Mrs Hood said.

“I wouldn’t want to impose,” I suddenly interjected.

“Oh don’t be ridiculous!” she laughed, then lent down next to my ear so Calum wouldn’t hear and said, “It will be good for him.” She then gave us both a wave and walked off to finish buying what she needed. I turned to look at Calum, who was staring at the ground. Well, it could have gone worse.

“What kind of pasta should I buy?” I asked him, breaking his trance on the tiles. Calum shrugged and then joined me in staring at the countless packets in front of us. I started to pull some off the shelves, and Calum found some for me too, and soon enough, I have at least 10 packets of pasta for the week. I then headed for the ice-cream.

There were so many different kinds to choose from and I had no clue which of these I wanted either. I looked to Calum for his opinion and he pointed to the cookies and cream tub. I grinned at his choice and picked it up and went to pay for the goods. That was all done in silence, and so was the walk home. Calum had insisted on carrying my bags for me, despite my various protests, but it did make walking home a little faster for me.

Once we were home I opened up the front door and we went straight to the kitchen. I put the pastas in the cupboard and Calum put the ice-cream in the freezer, then sat awkwardly at the kitchen table. I soon joined him and started up the conversation.

"So, why would your mum just let you come with me?” I asked him. He was looking at the floor again and I could tell he didn’t feel comfortable with the situation, but he wasn’t saying anything. “You can talk to me Cal,” I said. Still nothing. “Ok, what is the problem?”

“It’s just, how do I know that what I say you wont tell to other people and then have them use that against me later on?” He whispered, but looked apologetic for having that opinion.

“That is a perfectly valid point to have. Ok, let’s just get to know each other first, I also swear on that cookies and cream ice-cream that I won’t say anything to anyone that you don’t want me to.” I held up my hand and crossed my heart. I received an amused eye roll from Calum and continued. “My name is Natalie Smith; I'm 16 years old and practically live on my own due to my parents work. I am an only child, and it rocks because I can stay out as late as I like and there will be no one who can tell my parents about my mischievous fun. Also, people think otherwise, but I am definitely a virgin,” I finished on a serious note.

“OK then. My name is Calum Hood, I am 16. My parents are a little over protective but very unrestrictive at the same time. I have an older sister, who is at uni over seas, but we got on great and I miss her heaps. I don’t really go out much and, uh, I guess I'm a virgin too…” he said quietly. I smiled and took note of what he had just told me.