Chapter 66- Pessimist

The soldiers and air jets were ready to be in the battlefield. Once we learned that the rebels weren't that prepared for any air assaults, we concluded a plan:
First group of Air jets will be covering for the soldiers on foot then another batch of air jets will be deployed to cover them for any retreat.

Amielle, General Owens and Me will be monitoring from the planning room. I will be guiding the troops from Gardenia, Owens for Illéa and Amielle for the joint air ships. Maxon left for the yesterday with tears forming in his eyes and his hands were shaking. Something about it makes me laugh, because usually girls does those things and boys does the opposite, at the same time nervous about what will happen. I fold those negative thoughts and tucked them to the deepest part of my brain. (I'm really a pessimistic person.)

"Fire when you're ready" Amielle gave the pilots the cue. We're monitoring them through satellite feeds and voices. Their aircrafts were also being monitored by their GPS.

The soldiers on foot were monitored by their ear pieces with tracking device.

"All clear" The head pilot says. That's our cue.

"Send them in" I ordered.

We watched as our troops filed in. We already planned it out for three days and with King Clarkson's grace, he let Maxon be with me until yesterday. Maxon was very happy, the first time I saw Maxon happy with his father.

We waited until the soldiers gave us reports. It was already passed twelve midnight when we pull the troops back. Sadly, we lost two soldiers from Gardenia and four casualties from Illea. Luckily, we didn't lose an air jet for the first day of the offensive operations.

- T I M E L A P S E -

Two months. We've been in Illéa for two consecutive months! And I miss my parents so much. Christmas had passed and so was the New Year, it's not the first time I've been away for those special moments. For Christmas, we captured three rebels as our Christmas present. Maxon wasn't allowed to go to the war front anymore, not only because his father forbade him but I forbade him as well.

Mom and Dad shipped their gifts for us and the troops, my brother and I and also the whole army did the same thing to our loved ones. Due to the fact that we already gave them our presents when we left, we just gave them letters and update for them to read and comfort.

"You got everything you need?" Amielle asked.

"Yeah" I shakily answered, tucking the last gun magazine on the holster.  

Today, we'll be going with the troops to the main action part. Amielle will lead the fighter jet pilots while me and General Owens lead the soldiers on foot. I didn't inform anyone outside the camps that I will be going out there, I don't want for them to worry.

"You don't have to do this" Amielle clutched my hand tight.

"I know," I looked at my brother's eyes. "But I want to. I'm meant to, okay?"

Amielle nodded his head in agreement, we hugged each other tight before going out the barracks. Soundlessly, I climbed inside the tank with Owens. We watched the fighter jets roar their engines to life, I reached for Amielle's mind and saw myself inside his head. He gave me a firm salute and I was quick to return it. He smiled a bit before taking off.

I closed my eyes for a moment to pray good luck, in a matter of two minutes, I heard a static inside my ear piece before hearing Amielle's signal to go.

"Good luck sis!"

"Good luck Amiey!" I replied.

The driver drove us out of the camp into the action point.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

"Here we are Generals" The driver pulled the hand brake and I jumped out of the tank. Once my feet touched the grounds, I instantly heard gun shots not far from where we were standing. I hand signed them to form their ready position.

I pulled my gun from its holster, my eyes and ears adjusted to the situation. I made my way to the pack of soldiers ready to fire, just then, a bomb fell from the skies killing everyone within its radius.

"Hold your ground!" Owens barked.

"Rebels at Twelve!" Amielle shouted at the ear piece.

It's my time to speak.

"Illea, proceed with General Owens at three o'clock" The Illean soldiers were quickly on their feet. "We'll be heading at twelve" 

Amielle already intercepted the rebels, throwing bombs above the to make them scatter to places. Another good thing was, we planned to attack at night, so we were able to use our high definition night vision.

I raised my fist in the air and stop abruptly. I saw few rebels approaching, their guns were raised and pointed near our position. I pointed at the opponents position telling my men to fire at will.

"Get them boys!" I heard Amielle said then followed by a chuckle. "Also girls!"

In those seconds, I can imagine him saying it with a smirk and everything was nothing but ordinary. No dead brother, arranged marriage, and broken hearts. However, I cannot continue my day dreaming and ideal outcomes, with my life and my soldiers life on the brink of death.

Mom will die if any of her children will be gone to this world, Dad will lose his mind if Mom dies with anyone of us.

TO KILL OR BE KILLED!!

Shots went back and forth then another message reached my ear piece.

"Let's end this bloody war once and for all!" Amielle yelled.

I could tell he wasn't just referring to us but to his company too. General Owens replied it with a simple remark.

"Copy that soldier!" He replied.

"Copy brother!" I replied. "Men, we'll be ending this war now not only for the sake of our land but for the sake of our families! Are you with me?"

"YES!" They shouted.