twenty-five

Staring out the window in my office, I twirled my hair around my finger and looked at the few grey clouds overhead. I sighed, another day of inability to focus on what I was supposed to be working on.

I looked back down at the pages in front of me, which were barely touched. It was already 11 in the morning and I'd only gotten through 2 more pages.

I knew it shouldn't have been bothering me, but I was a little worried about my mom and Chris. I thought maybe if I could just go back to Albany to see that it's the same as when I left it, but I knew that I wasn't allowed to do that. There was too much at risk for me to even consider it.

I tapped my pen against the desk a couple times before deciding to give the story another try. It was an interesting story, it just didn't have very many errors. I liked the stories with more errors better. They made me think, gave me more of a challenge and it was easier to focus and get into those ones. Lately I'd gotten a lot of decent stories so it was harder to get into them and edit.

Practically dragging myself through the day, I managed to get through all but the last few pages of the story. Deciding to call it a day, I put it away and got ready to leave.

I changed into jeans before I left since it was below freezing outside and walked out, wrapping myself tight from the cold and slight breeze.

I stepped into Starbucks feeling a slight dread. I didn't feel it yesterday when I came in for some tea but I was hoping that since it was Tuesday Ashton would have something to offer to brighten my day a little.

"Taylor Parks," Ashton smiled when I approached him, still bundled in my jacket. He helped me out of it, sitting with me close to him on the couch to warm me.

"Do you want some tea or cider or anything?" he asked. I shook my head.

"I just want to sit down and relax," I said.

"Long day at work?"

I rolled my eyes. "You have no idea. I couldn't focus for anything. It was long and I was antsy the entire day and honestly I just came to Starbucks today so I could see you. I wanted to just go home and crash or something."

"Well I'm glad you stopped by to see me," he said. "I have something important."

"And what's that?" I asked, and Ashton pulled away from me a little and I almost whined at the loss of body warmth.

I sat up a little more to watch him reach on the other side of the couch and pull out a few roses. I immediately felt my cheeks heat as I smiled at him.

"Those are for me?" I asked as he handed me them, offering me a smile too.

"Yes," he said. "I just want one thing in exchange."

"What's that?"

"I just thought maybe we should make it official. I want you to be my girlfriend, Taylor Parks."

I smiled up at him, pulling him closer to me again as I set down the roses. "Yes! Of course!"

Ashton leaned down and kissed my lips gently, just a quick sweet one and sat back on the couch with me.

"I've felt like a little bit of a dick because we keep kissing and doing all these couple-y things and I hadn't even asked you to be my girlfriend yet," he said. "And I was kinda nervous that you would say no and storm out and accuse me of trying to intrude on your life again."

I laughed, though I felt a little embarrassment. "I'm so sorry Ashton. You shouldn't have to be afraid of girls doing that to you."

"Not girls," he smirked. "One girl in particular."