thirty-five

"Taylor, there's been an accident."

I stopped from my pacing and my heart started pounding. "What happened?"

"It's Chris," he said. "He's in the hospital."

"Oh my god," I said, immediately moving to start throwing clothes into a bag. "Do you know what happened? Is he okay?"

"He's been shot. No one knows who it was or anything, though I have my suspicions," he said. "He's in surgery right now, I don't know how long it'll be and I don't know if he's going to make it."

"Oh my god," I said again, stopping and closing my eyes. This was not happening.

"I'm so sorry to be the bearer of bad news," he said.

"I'll be on my way to Albany tonight," I said. "I'll leave as soon as I can."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, he's my brother," I said. "I can't just leave him there and not come see him, especially if he doesn't even make it."

"Okay," he said quietly. "Sophia and I are in the hospital here and we'll be here waiting for you when you get here."

"Okay," I breathed. "Thank you Liam."

I hung up and ran my hands through my hair, holding myself together. My brother. The one who protected me and was the only one who ever understood and was sympathetic of everything I'd been through was in the hospital and his survival was uncertain.

I finished throwing my clothes into my bag, opening my bedroom door and hurrying into the bathroom to grab my toiletries.

I guess Luke and Ashton heard because as I was about to rush back into my room to throw them in my bag, I bumped into Ashton in the hallway, dropping everything I had in my arms.

"Whoa, what are you doing?" he asked. "What's going on?"

"I have to leave," I said, reaching down to pick up what I'd dropped. "I have to go to Albany, my brother is in the hospital."

"Wait a minute Taylor." Luke appeared in front of me as well all of a sudden. I felt as though I might pass out.

"I really have to go, I'm sorry," I pushed past them and into my bedroom, putting them into my bag.

"You're not going anywhere by yourself," Ashton said. Both of them were in my room just then, and I knew this was it. That's when I lost it and started crying uncontrollably, falling on the floor next to my bed.

I hugged my knees to my chest as Ashton and Luke came over to me, Luke rubbing my back while Ashton took my face in his hands.

"Hey, calm down," he said soothingly, looking me in the eyes and coaching me to take slow, deep breaths.

"There's a lot of things you need to tell both of us," he said softly.

"I know," I cried. "And I'm sorry, but my brother is in the hospital and they don't know if he's going to make it and--"

"Hey, shh," Ashton wiped away the tears that were still pouring from my eyes. "We're coming to Albany with you and you can explain everything on the way."

I nodded, knowing this was what I had to do. I took a couple more deep breaths and Ashton helped me up while Luke left the room, saying he was going to grab some clothes before we left.

"How far is Albany from here?" Ashton asked, helping me up and zipping up my bag for me, putting it on his shoulder.

"About 4-5 hours," I said. "I need to do something with Chloe, I can't leave her here but I can't take her with me."