thirty-one

I sat down at Starbucks with Ashton with my tea in my hand while he was scrolling through his phone. He looked up at me and smiled, holding his arm out for me to sit with him.

"Hey beautiful," he kissed me on the cheek and locked his phone, sliding it into his pocket. "I missed you all week."

I'd had a meeting to go to on Tuesday that ran late and I ended up missing my usual meet with Ashton.

"Well I have the perfect way to make it up to you," I said, handing him my tea and he took a sip. This was becoming a usual thing for us. I would get a tea and he would take a sip and try to guess what kind of tea it is.

"That's definitely chai," he said. "And what is this perfect way to make it up to me?"

"Calum invited us all to go out with him and Abbi again tomorrow night," I said. "And I promise, this time I won't get overly drunk and cry and then pass out on you."

Ashton laughed at the memory. "Well I'm glad to hear that. Who's Abbi?"

"Oh, she's this girl Calum has been seeing," I said. "She's nice."

Ashton nodded. "Sure. What time and where are we going?"

"Luke never bothers to tell me these things until the last minute." I rolled my eyes. "I'll get back to you on that."

"Okay," he said, taking my tea again. "I love chai, give me more of that."

-

I didn't make dinner for Luke and I Friday night because we were going to meet up somewhere with Ashton, Abbi and Calum instead. I put on a nice dress and waited for Luke to finish getting ready before we left.

When we got to the restaurant, Ashton was already in the waiting area with Calum and Abbi. They were talking as we walked in and Ashton smiled at us, seeming to light up the entire room.

"Hey guys," Luke and I greeted the others as we walked in, giving hugs out to everyone. I hugged Ashton last, who kept his arm around me while we waited to be seated.

It wasn't long before we were, and I sat between Ashton and Luke across from Abbi and Calum.

Calum, Abbi and Luke all caught up and talked about the club we were planning on going to while I told Ashton about things I'd been doing with Chloe and he actually listened to my unintelligent rambling.

"I think we should head to that club now," Calum said, checking the time on his phone. "It opened a little bit ago so let's go in before it gets too packed in the parking lot."

Calum gave Ashton the address to the club and we said quick goodbyes since we'd be seeing each other again in a few minutes.

Luke drove us to the club and we pulled in at about the same time as the others, parking somewhat close to each other. I got out and said hello to Ashton, who intertwined our fingers as we went to go inside.

I decided not to get a drink right away this time and instead occupied myself by following Ashton to a couch and sat right next to him. Luke sat down as well, eyeing a group of girls dancing nearby. Calum and Abbi went to dance right away, laughing together and obviously having a good time with each other.

"Just go dance with one Luke," I said, nudging him. He looked over at me and blushed.

"What?" he asked.

"I see you looking at those girls," I said. "I'm sure any of them would be delighted to dance with a good looking guy like you."

Ashton gave him a playful push and Luke stood and awkwardly walked up to the group of girls. Immediately, one of them pulled him into their group and started dancing with him. He looked over at Ashton and I helplessly and we both gave him a thumbs-up of encouragement.