thirty

Saturday morning, I'd had plans with Ashton to go walk with Chloe through a park. Now that it was the beginning of April, it was finally starting to warm up outside and I was able to minimize my bundling to my windbreaker and jeans. Ashton was going to pick us up at around 10:30 so I put my hair into a ponytail and put the leash and collar on Chloe right as Ashton knocked on the door.

I walked Chloe out into the hallway with Ashton and she resisted a little at first but eventually gave in and walked with us into the elevator.

"Is she going to annoy me while I'm trying to drive?" Ashton asked as we got into the car and she sat in my lap, crawling into my shirt and clawing my skin as he started the engine.

"No." I cringed. "She's too scared by the sound of the engine."

Ashton laughed at me, pulling out of the parking lot and onto the road. He reached over and placed his warm hand on my thigh as I pet Chloe through my shirt.

"You know, despite how annoying they can be during times like this, I love cats so much," I said.

"Cats are great," Ashton said. "They're not smelly and big and noisy, and they are far more entertaining than dogs."

"Exactly!" I said. "And pretty much once they grow up and groom themselves better, you don't have to constantly give them baths. And they cuddle much more than dogs."

"Dogs bark all the time," Ashton said. "I'm the type of person who enjoys my peace and quiet and the worst you get from a cat is purring and meowing when they want attention."

"Let's just adopt like 30 cats," I said.

"Deal."

When we got to the park, I pulled Chloe out of my shirt and put the leash back on her, zipping my jacket back up and opening the door with her in one arm.

I waited until we were on the trail to put her down and she walked with us as we took a leisurely stroll down the trails, hand in hand. She would occasionally rub against our legs and purr, meowing in the middle of it.

Ashton stopped and sat down on a park bench. I picked up Chloe and sat with him, putting her on my lap despite her dirty little paws. I'd have to give her a bath when I got home.

I leaned against his shoulder as Chloe laid across my lap, taking a little nap.

"I'm so glad this miserable weather is finally warming up a little," I said, stroking Chloe on her back a couple times, making her purr and stick out her claws slightly.

"I'm excited for when it gets hot out and we can go swimming together," he said. "I love swimming."

"Me too!" I said. "I spent my entire first summer here unpacking and getting settled in that I didn't even go swimming anywhere."

"I'll take you swimming when it warms up." Ashton reached over to pet Chloe as well.

I turned my head to face him, realizing he'd leaned in a lot more since he was petting Chloe. Our noses brushed and my stomach fluttered.

I closed my eyes as I kissed him, just a short kiss for a couple seconds and stopped, our faces still touching and smiled.

"What?" he asked, smiling too.

"Nothing." I shook my head and kissed him again, this time a little longer than our last.

Chloe interrupted our moment by waking up and deciding to play with my ponytail, batting it around with her paws.