thirty-seven

(A/N: last chapter eep
there is an epilogue coming too, no worries)

When the cops showed up, they immediately brought me and Ashton out of the house separately for questioning. I told them everything that happened and an ambulance came to bring Josh to the hospital. Luckily I didn't do too much of a number on him. He only had a concussion, but I didn't feel bad considering he'd done worse physical and emotional damage combined to me.

However, less fortunately for him, they used the text in my phone as evidence, and he wasn't very intelligent because they tracked the phone number back to his cell phone. He basically admitted in the text that he shot Chris, and that was going to land him a spot right in court and probably jail too.

I was finally allowed to leave at around 9 in the morning, Liam and Sophia waiting with Luke outside the house for Ashton and I.

Sophia hugged me, thankful that I was okay and threatening to ground me if I ever scared her like that again. I asked them if I could go back to the hospital to see my brother again.

When we went into his room I saw he was doing much better. He was a lot more awake, able to sit up a bit more in his bed now. He was slowly eating a meal sitting on the hospital bed and I sat with him and told him everything that had happened with Josh, including the text he sent me.

"It was Josh?" he asked.

I nodded. "He basically flat out admitted it over text and he did in person. He threatened to do the same with Ashton and Luke but I don't think that's going to happen. I have a feeling he's going to be in jail for a while."

"Oh I can guarantee he will be," Chris said. "He's harassed you too much and he shot me. The guy has issues and he needs some serious help."

I sighed in relief, knowing this huge issue was off my chest.

"You know what this means," Chris said.

"Yeah."

"You know we all miss you," he said. "Liam and Sophia talk about how much they miss you all the time. You can move back to Albany now if you want to."

"I think I want to stay in Seattle," I said quietly.

He raised his eyebrows. "Oh. That's okay. I didn't know that you'd end up liking it so much there."

"I didn't either." I looked out into the hallway and saw Ashton talking to Liam and Sophia about something. He had a bit of a smile on his face as he talked. I took a second to admire him.

"Am I going to get an introduction?" Chris smirked at me.

"Hey Ashton," I called to him in the hallway and he turned to look at me before walking into the room.

"Ashton, this is my brother Chris," I said.

Ashton smiled at Chris and sat down next to his bed. "It's nice to meet you."

"I hope you're taking good care of my sister," he said.

"I'm trying," he smiled, looking over at me. "She's a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes."

"Oh believe me, I know," Chris rolled his eyes, playfully nudging my arm. I smiled a little at them, but didn't say anything.

"Are you alright Taylor?" he asked me.

I nodded. "I'm really tired." I had maybe 2 1/2 hours of sleep.

"I'll be fine," Chris said. "I'm recovering quite well, at least that's what the doctors say. They keep pumping a bunch of pain meds in me so I can't really feel anything. But I'd imagine I'll probably live. You should go get some sleep and maybe something to eat."