Chapter 18; My turn to smile

~~~~*~~~~
Layla's POV
~~~~*~~~~
I thought for sure it was a memory. I could see everything happening, but it felt like it was happening for the first time. The surroundings looked familiar but I couldn't place it. There were dogs barking in the distance and for some reason I knew it was from the dog pen. I looked around. I was in a large barn, so it seemed. A horse neighed and I spun around to see a man sitting atop of a large quarter horse. The man started to speak,"om...mu...do...tack...shine... work," I stared blankly. I shook my head.

"Sir? What did you just say?"

"I said com'n we got much to do tack up Starshine. Get to work already." I gasped as I saw his face. I remembered now. The man was my daddy. He wasn't dead! His brown grayish hair sat under his cowboy hat swishing around with the wind. And the Quarter Horse that he sat atop was named Blaze. I had rode blaze many times before he was a gentle horse but daddy had always ride with me. Starshine was my little Indian pony. I nodded and ran into the tack room grabbing the small western saddle and Shines bridle. The little horse stood in her stall munching on hay, she heard me and looked up. I sat down her tack and grabbed her by the halter. She turned her head from me and I yanked it back she nibbled at my coat wanting an apple or carrot,"not today girl," I muttered and tacked her up. She shifted under the weight and I hoped on. After riding a bit I found daddy standing by the large lake at the back of the property.

"So you said we had work to do,"

"Layla this isn't a dream, you're in a coma and God said I should come and apologize for not riding and being a good father. I'm sorry Layla but I'm good now and I know how badly you and graham wanted a decent dad. When you were a baby my father said I wouldn't know how to take care of you. I took it seriously and decided you'd better off on your own,"

"You don't have to apologize daddy. And how'd I get put in a coma?"

"Graham ran a red light." He scowled," you take care of him Ight?"

I nodded. And everything went blurry then it was gone,"I LOVE YOU!!" I tried
To scream but I couldn't and I fell into darkness.
~~~~~~*~~~~~
Graham pov
~~~~~~*~~~~~
She was supposed to wake up days ago.

She was supposed to be fine.

They said there was nothing wrong.

She was supposed to be okay. I was supposed to be the on that got hit.

Is this really all my fault?

It is.

Every bit of it.

She was okay.

She wasn't hurt.

She was going to come home.

"Graham!"

"Hmm?"

"Babe, come on. It's been three days since you've been home."

"It's been a month since she's been in a coma."

"Graham. Let's go." I looked at her. She's been there for me this whole time and I can't even do what she says. I stood up and walked with her outside. I turned her around and kissed her.

"Thanks. Oh and isn't your birthday in a few days?" May 7th. I knew it by heart.

"Yep. Oh and did you like you're present?" She had gotten me a surf board. Mom and her mom  had got 2 tickets to an Msu basketball game. Blake got me some trunks. Cailey a hat. It was a good birthday.

"Loved it. " today was the 5th. My present was going to awesome. I just knew it.

I pulled her in for a hug,"Thank you so much for staying with me through this. And for everything you've done for me. I love you so so so much Lettie Grace McCoy." She looked up and smiled before kissing me.

It was my turn to smile
~~~~~~*~~~~~~

Sorry for the late-ness and shortness