Chapter 26

As they reach Major Nayyer, after the last round, they discover Captain Rajveer standing there with him. Standing in front of them, they breath heavily. Rajveer notices how much tired Naina is, he feels sympathy for both the cadets, but more for Naina.

Clearing his throat, he says in an authoritative voice,

"Cadets increase your stamina. You are not meant to feel tired".

Noticing that Captain Rajveer is not showing sympathy towards the Cadets, makes Major Nayyer to smile silently. His infectious smile, sets Pooja's blood to boiling. After sometime the class ends, all the cadets leave for their next class, Major Nayyer also leaves.

Naina sits on a marble stool placed on the ground and starts checking her wound. Pooja comes to her and asks her,

"Naina main dawayi le aun?"

Naina smiles, feeling thankful to Pooja for showing the gesture and says,

"Nahi Pooja it's okay. Tu theek hai na?" "Haan yaar main theek hun"

"Hmm... Pooja tu ja main baad mein aati hun"

"Yaar main tere saath rukti hun na, agar tujhe koi help chahiye ho to?"

"Nahi Pooja, tu ja! Waise bhi tujhe next class ki tayari karni hogi"

"Next class...Lolita ma'am ki class hai. Chal theek hai, tu kehti hai to main chali jati hun. Acha sunn agar tu theek feel na kare, to mat kario Lolita Ma'am ki class attend. Okay!"

"Theek hai",

smiles Naina.

As Captain Rajveer finds Cadet Pooja leaving, standing behind a marble pillar inside the premises, he waits for her to disappear from the scenario.

Reaching Naina, he stands in front of her. Naina stares at his jeans and understands it's him and doesn't care to look into his eyes for conformation. She doesn't say anything. Rajveer grabs her by her hand and pulls her to get up. Without saying a word, she tries to pull back her hand free from his hold. For sometime they fight silently. Then Rajveer gets down on his feet, seeing him on his feet makes Naina to go numb, they both keep staring at each other.

After sometime Rajveer breaks the ice,

"mujhe pata hai apko dard ho raha hai. Aur agar aap mujhe khud ko chune nahi dengi to apka dard kaise kam hoga?"

As she listens this line, she trembles out of shyness. Then he continues,

"apke baki dard to main durr nahi kar sakta, kyunki aap mujhe batane ko hi tayar nahi hain ki aap kyun itni tensed rehti hain".

He pauses and waits for her to at least say something, anything regarding her life. But when he realizes that it's not that easy to break her, he shakes his head, closing his eyes. Opening them he continues,

"kam se kam ye dard to kam karne dijiye!",

then pausing he continues,

"itna haq to hai? Tumhara...",

then staring into her eyes, with almost teary eyes he says,

"teacher hone k naatey?"

He waits for her to reply because he knows, he wouldn't dare to do, what he is about to, without her permission, but he wouldn't let her know for now that she has that power to make him stop from doing something, the power which he hasn't given to anyone yet, but her. She nods a little, indicating a 'yes'!

*****

Very slowly he encircles his hand around her waist, looking into her eyes throughout the process, and pulls her up into his arms. As she gets comfortable oddly in his arms, Rajveer looks into her eyes. They both stare each other.

(Rajveer-Naina tune starts)

He starts walking forth. Naina stares into his eyes, then feeling shy she lowers her vision.

Soon they reach the entry of the premises, that Naina realizes that it wouldn't look nice, him holding her that way, as soon as this thought enters into her mind, in a hurry she says,

"Rukiye".

And as if her word is his command, he stops abruptly and looks into her eyes, asking without uttering a word 'kya hua?', his eyes say it all.

Understanding his look, she answers his un-uttered question,

"ander kisi ne humein aise dekh lia to?",

whispers Naina.

Smiling he shakes his head and says,

"Cadet Singh, jahan tak mujhe yaad hai, aapke knees mein chot lagi hai. Bruised knees, and teacher hone k naatey ye mera farz hai ki main, Cadets ke well-being ka khyal rakhun. Nahi? Cadet Naina A Singh?",

smiles Rajveer.

Feeling shy, she lowers her eyes and nods her head.

He takes her in his room and places her on his bed carefully. They were inches away before he straightens up and clears his throat as well as his mind! Turning his heels, he closes the door of his room.