Chapter 35

After sometime Brigadier Chandok comes and announces "attention everyone, lets get inside and burn the dance floor!"

Soon they all get inside and start dancing.

Ali asks Pooja, in all gentleman style for a dance. Huda searches for Naina but he couldn't find her so ends up asking Dr. Mishra. Suriji with world's all shyness asks Lolita Ma'am for accepting his request to dance with him, putting forward his right palm. "Come again Suriji!" scolds Lolita Ma'am, as a result Suriji lowers his eyes. As he does that, Lolita Ma'am smiles and places her hand on his hand. This brings a smile on his face, where on the other hand Lolita Ma'am blushes. Out of excitement Suriji utters, "Oh baley! baley!" "Suriji!"scolds Lolita Ma'am mildly, blushing and smiling. Soon they also join others on the dance floor.

Naina searches for Rajveer but is unable to find him anywhere. Sighing, she turns, as soon as she turns, she finds Rajveer talking to an orderly standing at a corner. Seeing him in his usual self melts Naina's heart. She walks towards him and greets him, "hello Sir!" standing behind him. Hearing her voice, makes Rajveer's heart to skip a beat, but it succeeds in bringing a secret smile on his lips. A smile declaring silently that now that he has heard her voice, after what looked like ages, he is fine! But keeping this little secret to himself, he turns back to face her, making it sure that she couldn't read this amusement in any ways. "Hello Cadet Singh!" he greets her, with no smile, giving nothing away."Ahmm... aap dance nahi kar rahein?"asking this she looks into his eyes. Rajveer gives her a tough competition on it, he too keeps staring, waiting for her to either lower her eyes first or else enjoy their secret game of staring. And as expected Naina lowers her eyes first. Suddenly Dr. Shalini comes and forces them to dance together."Cadet Singh, Captain, aap dono aise kyu khadein hain?"
"Ma'am..." as Naina starts to explain, Dr. Shalini shakes her head to a 'no', "Nothing doing, no excuses!Chaliye jaakar dance kijiye chaliye..." and she places Naina's hand on Rajveer's hand. The skin to skin touch sends electric jolts to both Rajveer's and Naina's body equally.

*****

For the sake of Dr. Shalini they join others on the dance floor. They start the ball dance. None of them looking the other. The song 'tumhe apna banane ki kasam khayi hai' starts 'tumhe apna banane ki kasam khayi hai khayi hai'"Aap kya mujhse issi tarah bina baat kiye rahenge purey party mein?" he doesn't answer for sometime, then replies "Purey party? Nahi Cadet Singh! Main ab aapse kabhi baat nahi karunga" he emphasizes on'kabhi'. She stares him, both of them looking at each other, when the line of the song comes 'teri ankhon mein chahat hi nazar aayi hai, ayi hai' then the tune starts and Rajveer says "You know what I don't feel like dancing!" declaring this he excuses himself, but Naina holds his hand, not letting him to go. The song continues 'mohobbat kya hai main subko bata dungi, zamane ko tere aagey jhuka dungi' as the line 'teri ulfat..' starts she pulls him towards her, as gesture of asking him to dance more.As the male line starts - 'tumhe apna banane ki kasam khayi hai, khayi hai'Rajveer grabs her tightly by her waist. The DJ skips the forthcoming tune of the song, so the song continues from 'tere honthon se main shabnam churaunga' and suddenly Naina's eyes fall on the drinks carried by waiters. Although where they are dancing, the amount of light is almost negligible, but from there Naina could clearly see the lighted area in front of her, a few miles away, where drinks are being served. Then Naina and Rajveer stare each- other, when the line starts 'mere nas-nas mein tu banke lahu samayi hai, samayi hai' Then Rajveer excuses himself. The truth that they didn't even spend 10 minutes properly together, hurts Naina to the core of her heart. She looks him going away and joining a group and talking to them.

****

Feeling deeply heartbroken Naina goes into one of the rooms allotted to the KMA group inside the hotel. Noticing her going away, standing at a far distance from her, Rajveer shakes his head and follows, keeping a check that no one notices. He makes it sure that she doesn't get an idea that he is following her. As she reaches her room and was about to shut the door, he uses his palm to push it back before it closes. They both stare each other.

"Aap yahan!" "Haan thak gaya tha socha thodi der rest kar lun" "Ye room main use kar rahi hun, aap koi aur room use kar lijiye" "Cadet Singh mujhey zada behs karne ki adat nahi hai" "Mujhey bhi!" retorts Naina, looking directly into his eyes.Smiling a little Rajveer continues,"tumhe pata hai Naveen bhi zada behs nahi karta tha""Unki behn hun to unhi ki tarah hongi na". They stare each other, Rajveer smiles a little then moves forth to get into the room.

"Aap ander nahi aa sakte!" As soon as she says this, he stops his foot, as if it's a reflex action. He doesn't ask'why?' or say'please!' he just keeps staring her."Aapko pata tha to apne mujhse baat kyu nahi ki Sir?" she demands, creasing her brows, her eyes brimming with tears. "Kya pata tha?" he asks, creasing his brows. "Yahi ki main Naveen Bhaiya ki behn hun""Naina..." as he starts to explain, Naina cuts him in the middle and says "Jhoot mat boliyega Sir. I know apko pata tha. Mere ghar jakar mere barey mein sub kuch jaan lia apne tab bhi mujhse kuch nahi kaha? Kyu Sir? Kyu?" she literally starts crying now, because she knows he won't give answer to any of her question.

"Naina..." sighing he continues,"Naina, Naveen ke jaane ke baad maine uske barein mein kabhi kisi se baat nahi ki" "Kyu?""Naina, tum samajh kyu nahi rahi ho, Naveen mera subse acha dost tha! Mere liye ye such accept karna ki Naveen humare beech mein nahi hai, bohot mushkil tha. Kuch din tak maine bohot koshish ki iss baat ko accept kar leni ki... ki Naveen... (pauses) Naveen ab humare beech mein nahi hai"
completes Rajveer, staring at the ceiling. Listening to his words, Naina breaks down and starts crying."Naina..." Rajveer goes to console her to diminish her pain, they both hug each other tightly.

After spending few moments of silence when Naina is in his arms, recovering from the previous scenario, Rajveer let go off her. Smiling he indicates her to stand there only. Checking that the door is locked, and no one is around their room, Rajveer goes to the musical system present in the room and presses the play button.