Chapter 1

*Jessie's POV*

Today is the first day of the second semester of my senior year. I walk through the halls searching for my new art class, room 304. I arrive just as the late bell rings. Everyone is standing at the back of the room as the teacher reads out the seating chart. I lean against the wall and drop my bag to the floor. I go through my phone until I hear my name called.

"In the third row, first seat, Jessie Lynd," the teacher says. I grab my backpack off the floor and make my way over to my seat. I start to take in the classroom. The tables all seat two people on high stools. The walls are covered with posters, many of which are famous paintings. To the left of me there is a window. I end up looking out of the window for a while, watching two birds fight over a piece of bread. I quickly turn my head when I hear a voice.

"Hey."

My heart jumps up to my throat, and I thank myself for not falling off the stool. The voice belongs to a boy with black hair and brown eyes. The same boy that my best friend Charlotte caught me staring at today. The same boy that has a known to be bad reputation. The boy that I have had my eye on since middle school. The boy sitting next to me, smiling, right now.

"I'm Zayn, " he says. He turns to face me and holds out a hand.

I try desperately to get a hold of myself. "I- I'm Jessie," I stutter out. I stretch my hand out to meet his. I am surprised at how soft his hands are, that and his friendly nature somehow calm me down.

"It's nice to meet you, Jessie," Zayn releases my hand as the teacher, Mr. Reynolds, starts to speak. For the rest of the period, we sit in silence listening to the teacher's first-day lecture. I try to pay attention to what he is saying, but it is easier said than done. It is almost unreal that Zayn is sitting there. He seems nicer than I would have imagined, based off of all the things I have heard about him. I can not help looking at Zayn multiple times during the class. I figure it is to convince myself that I am not dreaming. He catches me a couple of times, which causes me to quickly shift my focus to the ground. He is wearing a white t-shirt and a black leather jacket. The shirt enables me to make out the shapes of toned muscle. My eyes travel up to his face, where a hint of stubble outlines his mouth.

The class finally ends after what feels like three hours. I slowly pack up my stuff and turn around to see Zayn still standing there. I take the long way to the door to avoid having another awkward encounter with him. Despite my efforts, he meets me at the door and opens it for me. As I walk out, I quietly thank him.

"See you tomorrow," he says with a smile.

"See ya," I respond. We walk off in opposite directions. Tomorrow. The word echoes in my head as I realize its full meaning. Everyday for the rest of the school year, I have to interact with Zayn Malik in one way or another. Maybe working towards a friendship is not a bad idea. He seems nice enough.

I meet up with Charlotte after school to go to the mall. Charlotte is my best friend. She came along when everything bad started to happen in my life, and she helped me pull through it all.

"Hey," I say when I see her by her locker.

"Ready to go?"

I nod in answer. We walk to her car and drive to the mall.

*Charlotte's POV*

I walk out of the dressing room with the shirt on that Jessie picked out for me. I look at myself from different angles in the mirror.

"Nah, it doesn't look too good on me," I say. I go back into the dressing room and take the shirt off. I throw it over into the stall next to me. "You try it on, it would look better on you." I put my shirt back on and fix my black hair into a braid. I hear Jessie walk out of her stall and I go out to see the shirt on her.

I smile. "Much better," The shirt is a shade of green and matches Jessie's dark brown hair and green eyes better than it could mine.

"Thanks," she says. She walks back into the dressing room. What is going on? Ever since school ended today, Jessie has been acting different. That is how I know she is not telling me something. Just like when I caught her staring at Zayn earlier. Catching her is easy. She talks as little as possible, and when she does, she stumbles over her words. She avoids direct eye contact, and she tries to change the subject.

"Is there something wrong?" I ask when she exits the dressing room stall.

"I'm just tired," Jessie says. Come on. That is the default lie.

I try to dig deeper without stirring up any suspicion. "How was your art class?"

She starts to stare at the shirt she is holding. "It's okay. The teacher seems cool."

"Is there anyone you know?"

She pauses. "Not anyone important. Why?"

"Just wondering," I leave the subject to be reintroduced later after I find the source of her anxiety: someone in her art class she doesn't want me to know about.

A/N:

Hi:) ok don't mind me- read on. I just wanted to say thank you for starting. Also, please vote and comment. And um, have fun. This book is quite ridiculous. I hope you like it.