Chapter 34

I stagger down the stairs the next morning aiming to get to the kitchen. When I woke up, the clock said 11:34 A.M. I slept late last night. I rolled around for at least an hour, after plenty of time laying there just thinking about Harry and Zayn.

As I make my way to the bottom step, I see Eve on her laptop watching some music video- some band she has been into for a while now.

"Hey," she says as I walk past her.

"Morning," I respond.

"It's almost noon."

"I know." She shakes her head and goes back to typing on the computer. I smile at how she is disappointed in me. She has always been the morning person, not me, so I am not really bothered. As she types, I notice she only uses her left hand. "How's your wrist?" I ask her.

She lifts up her arm and stares at it with distaste. "It hurts when I move it, but it's just swollen right now."

I nod. "I would've been freaking out yesterday if I was you."

She shrugs. "It didn't hurt that bad. And Zayn sort of-". She stops herself, pretending like the words didn't even come from her mouth.

"Zayn sort of what?"

"Nothing." I can see the blush appear on her face.

"Eve."

She shrugs again, and then goes directly back onto her laptop, typing in something random on google. "He was just nice to talk to, nothing."

I start to grin. "Oh my god," I say with a bright voice, when I realize what has happened.

She frowns and closes the laptop.

"You have a crush on him!" I yell. Her head rolls back and rests on the couch.

"Well-"

I refuse to let her deny it. "Eve." I go and sit with her on the couch. "Tell me what you think about him."

She is completely tense, and she avoids looking at my eyes. I can feel how warm she is because she is that embarrassed. "He has nice hair," she answers in a shy voice. "And I like his tattoos. And he's really sweet."

Her eyes peel up to me, but they retreat when she sees how big I am smiling.

"It doesn't make a difference though," she continues.

"Why? Because you're 10 years younger than him?"

She rolls her eyes like age doesn't matter. It matters when the difference is a decade. "Yeah, but no. I meant that he is completely in love with you in the first place so I won't matter to him."

I narrow my eyes. Of course I know he likes me, but is it that noticeable to everyone else, including my baby sister? "In love with me?"

"Obviously. He stares at you all of the time, Jessie. And all he tries to do is be close to you." Her voice ends up bleak. I feel a flash of guilt that I get his attention when Eve is the one who wants it. But then again, there is no way I'm letting my eleven year old sister get near a boy, especially not one who is an adult, especially not Zayn.

It almost shocks me what she says, though. I did not realize how obvious Zayn was in letting others know that he liked me. Why could I not see it before? Harry could, and I guess that's why he was so against Zayn from the start.

"Why don't you go out with him?" Eve says. I stifle a laugh. When I see she's serious, I realize I never told her about Harry.

"It wouldn't work out," I tell her. The idea makes me grin because of how true it is. There is no way Harry would allow me to get close enough to Zayn to consider dating him. He detests the idea of me being just Zayn's friend.