Chapter 29

Niall takes his sweet time pulling away from Zayn's house. I really wish he would hurry. I want to be as far away from here as quickly as I can.

"So did you fix everything?" he asks, almost immediately after we are out of the neighborhood.

He saw how I was after I left the apartment. He saw how Zayn was. There is no way on earth anything went okay in there. "What do you think?"

He smiles softly. "Yeah?" He chuckles until I glare at him, then he drops his head and clears his throat. "So what happened, then?" he asks gingerly.

"Niall, nothing went right," I say. I planned it out to be so easy in my mind, how could it have crashed with such little effort? Then again, I was so nervous, and nothing like this could actually be that simple.

"What's that supposed to mean? What was supposed to happen?"

"I was supposed to go into his house, ask about the kiss, we were going to both agree that it was wrong and we regretted it, and then I'd leave." Nothing like that happened. Nothing even close.

"So what happened? Did he not agree?"

"I wish that was all he did," I mutter.

"What else did he do?"

"He was trying to seduce me," I answer. I don't think my answer is sufficient in describing what Zayn did. It was worse than seduction. God it was awful. He fucking made moves on me. He kissed my neck. He bit my ear. And he did this knowing the actual reason why I was at his house. He knew that I was there to stop us, and he still decided to try something with me. The only thing that could stop him was mentioning Perrie.

His ex-fiancé. I want to know about her, about how much she mattered to Zayn. It was the only argument that I could use against Zayn that worked, so she must have been important.

"Did you regret it?" Niall says.

"What?"

"The kiss, I mean. Did you want it to happen?"

"Niall. Of course not."

"Really?" He asks, making his eyes meet up to mine. A loud silence rings for a moment while the half-smiling, Irish boy tries to coerce me. "Jessie, I'm your best friend, just tell me."

His light-hearted stare works actually. I begin to wonder if I am still lying to myself. Did I want the kiss to happen? I guess now is the time for me to sort it out out loud.

"I didn't want it to happen," I tell Niall honestly. He raises an eyebrow slightly underneath his black sunglasses. I bet he expected my answer. He expected me to say that and to be lying. But the thing is, I am telling the truth.

He starts to formulate a response, but I'm not done yet. I sigh. "But I didn't hate it when it did."

He does a double-take.

"I wish it never did though. It would've been so much easier if it was just avoided," I continue.

"So you regretted it because it would be easier if it didn't happen?"

"Come on," I say. Obviously that is not why I regret kissing Zayn. I regret it because I showed Harry that I would easily forget him, and that's not true. I wouldn't do that... again.

He passes the turn to my apartment. "Where are you taking me?" I ask the probably confused Irish boy.

"Harry's. Didn't you tell me you guys were going to meet up after you talked to Zayn?"

Fuck, he's right. I hesitate.

"Yes?" he asks.

"Yes."