Chapter 2

*Jessie's POV*

When lunch ends the next day after school, I start off to room 304 with overwhelming anxiety that shatters any sense of courage I might have had. Every step closer to the room, my heart beats faster and more butterflies swarm to my stomach. I make it to the door and see Zayn sitting down in class. I take a deep breath and walk to my seat.

Zayn noticed me and says hi. I return the greeting, and Mr. Reynolds starts to speak. I drift off into daydreams until he stops talking.

"So do you want to go first?" Zayn asks me.

His question takes me by surprise. "Wait, what?"

"We're supposed to do two minute drawings of each other."

"Psh, I knew that. You can go first."

"Alrighty," he chuckles.

The two minutes are silent and awkward. I stare at Zayn while he sketches me quickly. He looks focused, biting his lower lip and tapping the pencil on his chin. After an extra fifteen seconds pass, I say, "Need I remind you of the time barrier?"

"I'm almost done," he replies. He takes a few minutes to fix the drawing and then he holds it up for me to see. "There."

"Oh my god," I say as I stare open-mouthed at the drawing. I grab the picture to get a better look at it.

"Yeah, it's not that great, but I only had two minutes," His hand travels up to his head and he runs his fingers through his hair.

"No, I mean it's amazing." The drawing is a perfect cartoon representation of myself. It looks like a caricature you would buy at an amusement park; the head is three times the size of the body, and the most prominent parts are greatly exaggerated. "Can I have this?"

He laughs and picks up a pen."Sure, but let me sign it first." He scribbles "Zayn Malik" on the paper and hands it to me. I thank him for it and carefully put it in my backpack.

"It's your turn now," he says enthusiastically, " I'm prepared to be wowed."

"Then you will be terribly disappointed," I say. While I draw, Zayn repeatedly changes positions and makes faces. I sense that I have taken extra time to finish when I am finally done.

"Done." I show Zayn the picture, and immediately his expression changes from excited to disgusted.

"This is awful," he exclaims loud enough for the whole class to hear.

"You wouldn't stop moving around," I try to argue, but the uncontrollable laughter makes it hard to prove my point.

"So you take an extra three minutes, and it still turns out like this. The body is a stick figure, and I don't even have any eyebrows!"

The laughing grabs the attention of the teacher who tells us to settle down. When we are finally calm, I say,"So I'm guessing you don't want the drawing then."

"I'm keeping this," he says, waving the picture in the air. "And I'm putting it in my binder too, so every time I need a paper, I can laugh at you."

"You don't think it resembles your image?" I joke.

"No you're right. I see it now. The full beard pulls it all together, I think." He smirks, and I cannot help but giggle.