Chapter 33

"She's ok," I tell my mother over the phone- Zayn's phone- since I left mine at home like an idiot. "She's in some pain, but she just sprained it, so she'll be better soon."

My mom starts to nag at me, and I sit on a bench and listen to her complain about me not being good enough. I can't argue. I left Eve for a while. I stopped watching her and she got hurt. It's my fault.

What happened was that Eve and Safaa were in the rink, and those boys who almost knocked me down sped past her and made her fall. She put her hand out to stop herself, and when she hit the ground, she sprained her wrist. I am so thankful it was nothing worse.

Zayn had heard her small scream, but because we were fighting in the bathroom we got to her later than everyone else. By the time we were around her, we had to move through a small huddle of people to get to her. She was sniffling, and we could tell she had been crying at least some amount from her red, puffy eyes. She sprained it, so there was not much to do except make her stop skating and put ice on it. So we did. And she's better now, but she says it still hurts.

While this was happening, whatever Zayn and I were fighting about paled away in comparison. Because it was someone else we had to worry about, we worked together. We did not fight, and we actually did okay as a team.

Zayn would be sweet to her, and he made her laugh and held a conversation with her about whatever she wanted to talk about, while I just watched him and held the ice on her wrist. All I could do was watch Zayn. He was so good with my sister, and I attribute that to him being an older brother. He really kept Eve's mind occupied, and even the times when I would press too hard and she would flinch, he would notice and immediately take her mind away, so she would not pay attention to the pain anymore.

Altogether, my mood towards him has softened; after seeing him being caring and warm, I feel lighter inside, not tense like I was. I'm grateful for that, even if it is from a questionable reason.

I think he knows I'm not on the brink of crying every time I see him now, and he is using it to be nice and be closer to me. I don't mind as much as I did before, mostly because he has been laying off on the touchiness and irritation.

Zayn walks up to me, and I stand up off the bench. He motions for me to let him talk to my mom, which confuses me, but I'm actually quite happy he's getting me off the phone with her. "Zayn wants to talk to you," I rush to tell her between her lecture. She reluctantly stops and agrees.

I hand Zayn the phone, and he quickly brings it to his ear. He starts to mindlessly walk off, so I don't hear much of the conversation.

As he talks to my mom, I let myself reflect. Zayn has only ever seemed annoying to me, except now. I see him now, and I feel like I am used to him. Am I being stupid? Is it bad that I would not hate enjoying time with him now? He turns around and sees me staring at him, so he grins and nods at me. I roll my eyes and laugh to myself.

Suddenly, Harry slips into my mind. What would he think if he knew I was here with Zayn and appreciating his company? My first inclination is to shake the thought out of my head, but I know I cannot do that. I can't overlook Harry. As Zayn looks at me, and I put on a small smile, I decide to not disregard Harry- the one I say I love, the one who loves me.

"Thank you. Ok, bye," I hear him say, as he walks back towards me and puts his phone in his pocket. "The girls are going to get frozen yogurt. The moms are taking them."

"What about Eve, and what about us?"

"It took convincing, but your mom said Eve could go. I'm sure the moms can take care of her. And Safaa will be with her."

"And what about us?"

"We weren't invited." Dammit. I sit back on the bench, and Zayn stands to the side of me. "What do you want to do? We can do whatever. It's just us, now."