Chapter 24

I jolt away from Zayn. He slowly takes small steps away from me, his hands retreating from my face down to rest on my knees. I cannot see who is at the door from where I sit. I am almost shaking. I do not want to know who is at the door. Zayn lowers his head with a deep sigh when he sees who is there, adding to my anxiety.

"I guess I'll leave you two alone then," the person says nastily.

I turn around.

Louis. He leans on the doorway with his arms crossed, his focus completely on Zayn. He glances toward me and acknowledges my presence, but he is quick to resume his glare at Zayn.

"We were just-" Zayn tries.

"I think it was pretty clear what you were doing." He raises his eyebrows and looks to me again to reaffirm. "Right?" I stutter out some incomprehensible words in response.

He backs out of the room leaving me to think about what just happened. What I let happen.

I am breathless. I cannot breathe without having to force the air into my lungs. The air in here is suddenly suffocating. I cannot be here anymore.

I throws Zayn's hands off my knees and jump down from the island.

"Jess, wait," I hear his strained voice from behind. He puts a hand on my shoulder. I shake him off and speed out of the room.

Louis is standing there in the hallway. I know he was waiting to talk to me. I stop in the hall so he can, expecting a cruel response from him.

"What the hell, Jessie?" he says. His voice is barely above a whisper, but I can still clearly hear the anger in it. His arms flail around as gestures while he speaks. "What were you thinking?"

"I wasn't." My head drops, and I rub my temples with my fingers. The entire situation is giving me a headache.

"No shit," he says. He shakes his head. "I had a feeling something like this would happen."

My head shoots up. Is he serious? His expression stays the same. He must mean it. He always thought I was bad news for Harry. He is going to tell Harry. Harry will hate me. We will be done. Everything we have will be gone because of what I did. I grab the wall, not able to balance after thinking of the consequences that will come from this.

"I'm not telling Harry," he says. "But, if you don't work this all out soon, and I mean really soon, then I will."

I cannot doubt him. They have been friends forever. Louis would easily get rid of me if he knew I could hurt Harry. So I have to tell Harry, if I care for him enough. I just hope "really soon" does not mean tonight. Not when he is having fun with his friends. And not when I have no courage to tell him.

He leaves me with that warning and brushes past me into the kitchen. Before I leave the hallway, though, I hear Louis beginning a similar tirade on Zayn, but with a stronger- and louder- choice of words.

I half-run into the garage, desperate to get away from the scene of all the trouble. I stop at the doorway into the garage and look in. Everyone is still on the floor, smiling and laughing at some stupid dare that was completed.

Harry sees me. He smiles inquisitively and waves me over to join the group. I take a step into the room and stop. I have to go see Harry now. I have to go see Harry now.

Zayn passes by me while I am thinking over everything, roughly bumping into me and pushing me aside.

"Sorry," he mutters bitterly. He walks fast to the wall across the room and leans against it, bringing his drink to his mouth for a long sip. He looks so tense.