Chapter 35

Christmas is over. It's the 27th now. I'm going home tomorrow, and honestly, it's about time. I was having fun with my family the first few days, but now since the holiday is over, I'm dying here. I'm craving my home.

Harry's not going to be back at his flat until the morning of the 31st unfortunately, so we are planning on spending New Year's Eve and Day together. I just wish those days would come quicker.

Right now, it's 4:30 P.M., and I'm starving. Isaac and I are sitting in the living room watching SVU. Our mom and Eve are gone. They went shopping after Isaac and I devoured everything in the house. People would normally have too much food after Christmas, but not with Isaac and I. We appreciate food too much to watch it sit in a refrigerator.

We are both in casual clothes, and we share the couch without much care for personal space like we always have.

"We have nothing to eat, Isaac," I say as I hear my stomach growl. I roll onto him and whimper on his shoulder, and he pushes me off.

"I know that," he bites. "Stop complaining, mom will be back soon."

"Not soon enough."

I fall back into my original position and cross my arms over my unusually flat stomach. I really need to eat. I make whining sounds in pity of myself, and also to annoy my brother.

I get a text.

From Zayn:

Come over we have tacos

My pained cries stop. It's like he read my mind. I hop off the couch and go upstairs. "Where are you going?" Isaac asks.

"I'm going to get food."

He leaves me alone. I go to my room and quickly clean myself up. Zayn texts me the address to his parents' house once I tell him I am coming over. I leave my house as fast as I can in a simple outfit with minimal makeup.

I arrive at Zayn's house and walk up the empty driveway to his front door. It is funny how well I remember his family's house. Even the outside has been stained into my memory.

I knock on the door and wait. After a while of waiting, Zayn answers. He lets me inside, and I can immediately smell tacos.

"Ready to eat?" I ask as I walk in.

"Yeah, the food's in the kitchen."

He leads me into the kitchen where we serve ourselves and eat at the table. We get halfway into our meal before I realize his family is not here. "Where is everyone?" I ask when the conversation allows for it.

"They aren't here."

I raise my eyebrows in obvious suspicion.

He smirks. "My mom, Safaa and Waliyha are at the mall because of some sale they were talking about. Doniya is working, and so is my father." He pauses. "They were here a few minutes ago, you just showed up too late."

"Funny," I mutter. He rolls his eyes. I know he is telling the truth, though. He just likes to tease me. He takes a sip of his water. "Did you see that vine I tagged you in?"

He puts his cup down. "No." He pats his pockets and furrows his brow. "Where's my phone?"

He gets up cautiously and looks around the kitchen. "Do you want me to call it?" I ask.

"It's on silent."

He starts to move more and even checks some of the cabinets in the kitchen. I get up and leisurely check in the living room, just lifting up a pillow or two on the couches.