Chapter 12

*Jessie's POV*

A week after Zayn and I decided to stop trying to make something out of us. This week was torture. Being right next to him almost everyday surrounded by people who knew exactly what was going on between us. The air in that room is so full of awkward that you can feel it. I keep using the last day of school as my motivation to stay strong. I will not have to deal with Zayn anymore. The problem is that deep down that motivation is also a huge discouragement.

Charlotte is driving me home from school. I need my own car, I think to myself.

"You're better off without him." She is still recovering from how Zayn and I ended. I think she says these things to convince herself more than me.

"He was a jerk," she says.

No he really was not. Just that one time...

"Yeah," I say. My phone buzzes in my pocket. I take it out and focus on the blurry words.

1 new message

From Zayn:

I think I need to see you again.

Butterflies. I look over to Charlotte to see if she notices. She has not even looked toward me.

To Zayn:

When can we meet?

He texts back immediately saying at the library, now. I ask Charlotte to drop me off there because I "have a project."

When I arrive at the library, I go inside and search for Zayn at the tables. He is not here yet, so I sit down and wait for him. There is absolutely no one here I notice from school, which is perfect. I take out my mirror from my backpack and make sure my makeup is okay. Nothing looks completely awful.

I put away the mirror and relax in the chair. So what exactly is all of this? Zayn and I are sneaking out together one last time before we never see each other again. But it is not like Romeo and Juliet; the only ones keeping us apart are ourselves. So I guess we think that if no one knows about it, then we can pretend it did not happen? Eh.

Zayn finally walks through the library door. He walks confidently into the library in a way that makes me smile. It totally contrasts with the attitude of the room. He is wearing a white shirt and a jean jacket. His faded and torn jeans match the color. The color of his clothing conflicts with the dark brown of his hair and eyes perfectly.

I chose the table directly in front of the doors, so of course Zayn enters looking in every other direction. When he finds the one I am in, he promptly joins me at the table.

"Hey," I exhale. My feet tap the ground furiously. I bet he can hear my heart beating against my chest.

"Hey," he says in the exact tone as I did.

"So what were your plans?" I ask, trying to imagine where we could be going today.

"I thought we could just hang out at my place for a while. I wanted to take you somewhere later tonight," he says hesitantly. He bites his lip and looks up at me with a shy smile.

I could probably faint from seeing that.

"You're not going to tell me where?" I whine.

He smirks and shakes his head no.

We take the short drive. There is a car parked in the driveway, but Zayn does not mention it. I walk into the all too familiar house. The memories actually make me shiver. I maneuver down a hall and stop when I hear something from the living room.

I peek around the corner and see three girls watching a chick flick on the flat screen. They do not see me, so I figure I can escape through the kitchen.