Chapter 40

*Zayn's POV*

I sprint through the hallway, my breathing getting shallower, as I hear the front door shut.

Holy fuck. She left. She's gone.

I hurry to the window and peer through the blinds. Her car lights turn on, then she screeches away.

I can feel my heart pounding through my body, up even into my ears. She really is gone. I'm having trouble processing it all. How quickly it all happened. One minute, everything was progressing perfectly, then seconds later, she freaks out. She leaves. I don't understand it.

I pace in the living room for a minute, trying to keep up with my mind that is running. I put my hands up to my face and groan. I don't know how I feel. Frustrated. Completely, thoroughly frustrated. Pissed off, also. Confused more than anything.

I jog to my room where my cell phone lays on my nightstand. I pick it up and quickly dial in a phone number I've memorized. Delilah's number. I know that this call will help me. Of course it's going to help me. She always helps me.

The tone rings and rings, and my frustration increases every time it sounds.

I begin to pace back into the living room, finding myself looking through the blinds once again.

She picks up, and I loosen up as she does. "Hello?" She sort of asks.

I huff. "Delilah, she left," I tell her.

"What?"

"She's gone. I don't know why she left but she ran outside before I could catch her."

I stop speaking once I recognize my voice shaking a little. I am actually freaking out. Speaking what happened out loud makes my heart beat faster and my nerves consume me.

"Slow down," she says. "Tell me what happened."

I sigh and walk to the couch. I sit down and rest my elbows on my knees. "After I called you, I went back home and knocked on the door and I explained to Jess that there wasn't a date with you. Then I kissed her and she was kind of hesitant," I say. "But then she went for it, and then stuff happened."

I owe Delilah big time right now. She came up with the idea of setting up a date to get Jessie jealous. There actually was a real date with Delilah, but it was just us as friends to specifically provoke Jessie. It worked. When I left my flat for the "date", I just left the complex in my car, called Delilah and told her Jessie was at my house and we didn't need to go out. Then I went back home, and that's when things started to happen with Jessie.

"Stuff?" Delilah asks. "How far did you get?"

I shake my head and shrug. "Barely past first base," I mutter. "Then she started to talk about Harry." I can hear my voice start to sound hostile. "Then she left." My fist clenches thinking about it. It was going so right and then somehow everything turned around. It took only a few seconds for her to change her mind, and it bothers me. I stand up and walk again, unable to deal with the stress that thinking is causing me. I walk to my bedroom slowly. "They broke up today. She told me when she was leaving."

"Ohh," she answers under her breath, with some understanding behind her voice.

My ears perk up at her sudden shift in emotion. "What?"

She starts a little hesitant. "Well, she just broke up with Harry. And who knows, maybe Harry dumped her? She probably just thought she needed more time to heal."

Time to heal. That is what Jessie said, isn't it? She said that now isn't a good time for her. I was too caught up in the moment to really process what she was saying, I guess.

My room is empty and clean, the closet door open with some shoes on the ground out of place. I walk up to my bed and fix the edge of the sheets that are slightly pulled off the bed.

I turn around and see myself in my mirror. Two buttons on my wrinkled shirt are unbuttoned. That and my messy hair remind me of where Jess and I were minutes ago. "Lilah, I was so close."

I hear her breathe out a laugh. "Just give her some time. She'll come around, you know it."

I smile. "Thank you."

"No problem."

I begin to repeatedly thank her for everything she has done for me the past few days. Everything she did helped me, all I can think to do is thank her.

She responds politely, and then I end the phone call.

I place my phone back on the nightstand and I sit on the edge of my bed, looking at myself in the mirror.

Wow. I realize my flat is so quiet when I am alone. I look at the room and listen to the loud silence, somewhat considering buying a fish or a hamster or something. It's really empty here.

Whatever. I'll decide tomorrow.

I realize it's hardly even 7:30 now, but the stress from today makes me tired and I plan on just laying in bed until I get too tired to be awake. Maybe I'll watch TV until then. I don't really know. I can't handle being around people, though. That girl Jessie frustrated the hell out of me, and what I need now is a distraction until I can talk to her again and fix whatever happened.

I change into more comfortable clothing, and I finally get rid of the scent of cologne that has been following me all day. I hop into bed and turn the TV on.

My phone buzzes on the nightstand making me sigh. I pick it up, very much irked that my relaxation is already being disrupted. I assume it's Delilah.

It's not.

It's very much Jessie. She texted me. My heart sort of jumps as I read the text, not sure what to expect now, the majority of me terrified.

From Jess:

I can't do this now. Not right now. I need some space for a while. I'm really sorry, Zayn. I'm so sorry for tonight. I like you a lot, but being around you hurts more than helps me at the moment. I'm sorry.