Chapter 32

"Hi Ms Lynd," Zayn says with a smile and handshake. My mother holds the door for Zayn to come in the house. He hesitates, but he comes inside, looking at the ground and keeping his hands in his jacket pockets.

I stare at him from the couch, but he doesn't see me. I rush to come up with an answer to why he is here, and the only logical thing that I can think is that he's doing this on purpose to hurt me. After a few seconds of silence, he looks around the house urgently. "Is Safaa ready? I'm supposed to take her to meet her friends for-"

His eyes grow wide as he turns his head and sees me on the couch. I can see the smallest smirk start to form, but he erases it before anyone but me can notice it, and continues talking, the whole time looking me straight in the eyes. "-to meet her friends for ice skating- Hi," he says to me.

Right then, Safaa and Eve run down the stairs, thankfully breaking our stare. I hear Safaa squeal. "Right! We're going ice skating!" She immediately turns to Eve. "Do you want to go with us? You were invited."

I cough. Eve glances at me, and I try to convince her no. She looks worried, but reluctantly at first, she answers without paying too much attention to what I was trying to tell her. "Sure... if it's okay with my mom."

She looks to our mother with the most pouty face I'm sure she could manage, and I feel like the pressure makes my mom feel obligated to say yes. "You can go." Then her eyes meet mine, and I know she is planning something horrible. "But why don't you take Jessie with you? It's Zayn alone with the girls. I just want everyone to be safe."

"Well, actually, Jessie and I were going to go out," Isaac chimes in. Everyone looks at him; my mom with fire behind her eyes, me with gratitude, Zayn with the best poker face I've seen, and the girls with obvious disappointment.

"Jessie's going to be here all week. You guys can go out tomorrow," the woman suggests, but she definitely means it as a command. She stares me down until I nod, agreeing to the forced date.

Her eyes brighten up, and she grins, moving her look to Zayn. "So, Zayn, is it okay if she goes with you guys?"

He shrugs. "As long as it's okay with her, she can come."

There is no way my mother will let me say no. "I'll go," I say quietly and quickly, and Zayn looks at me with a look of deep confusion.

"Okay," he says back just as quickly.

"Awesome," Eve says, and then the two girls go into planning the event.

I look back to Zayn, who I think is more happy about this than anyone. He smiles at me as I stare at him blankly. "Give me a minute. I have to put my things away and get my jacket," I tell him.

He nods, and I walk to the front door where I left my suitcase, right next to Zayn of course. I grab it, and leave him a nasty look as I walk past him, but he gives me his attempt at a sincerely apologetic look. It comes off with chuckling, so all I can reason is that he thinks it's all a joke.

I walk past my mother to the stairs. She grabs my forearm and pulls me to her. "Make it up to your sister, okay? Just pretend to have fun at least. I don't know what your problem is."

I roll my eyes. I wish she knew what she is putting me into. She huffs and let's go of me, and I skip up the stairs.

I run to my bedroom. When I get there, I drop my bag on the floor and throw myself onto my bed.

I grasp the first pillow I can reach and hold it against me. "Do not cry," I tell myself out loud. Tears stream from my eyes on to the pillow unwillingly anyway.

I cannot believe that this is happening to me. He is in my family's house! During the holidays! Is he that low? Low enough to harass me when I'm trying to visit my family?