Chapter 8

"And then he said-" Charlotte says for the fourth time. She keeps going on and on about how Zayn talked to her yesterday. She has no clue what happened after that, though. We walk through the halls at school waiting for the bell to ring ending lunch.

I patiently wait for her to finish her story until I cannot handle it anymore.

"Stop," I say abruptly.

She stops walking in the middle of the hallway. "What?" She says, with more than just a hint of annoyance in her voice.

I take a deep breath to prepare myself to relate the experience that might have changed everything about Zayn and I. "We kissed."

Charlotte stares into my eyes and starts to squeal. She bounces around in excitement. I have to join her, even though we are causing a huge scene in the middle of the school. She pulls me into the bathroom and starts to question me.

"How was it?"

I groan.

"Answer me," she begs through gritted teeth.

"It was... Good." Actually, it was really good. Like amazing.

I tell Charlotte about the entire day, starting with the pizza all the way to the text he sent me last night. It takes a significant amount of time, because the bell rings while we are still in the bathroom.

"You have art next, right?"

I nod. "I'm so nervous." I frown in the mirror. What if he asks me about the kiss? What if he does not even mention it?

"Don't be," she says. "Just act normal."

Great advice, if my normal was a confident, attractive female. Unfortunately, for me normal is an awkward, average girl. "Have fun, and tell me what happens."

We leave the bathroom. I start to walk toward my classroom. I'm not breathing, I realize. I need to calm myself down. It will not be the end of the world if we talk about it. Well, I hope not.

************

*Zayn's POV*

I walk up to my group of friends who all greet me. I lean up against a locker and throw my almost empty backpack to the floor.

"Where were you yesterday?" Harry asks.

"I was, uhh-"

"Never mind that," Louis interrupts. And thank God, too. I had no excuse as to where I was yesterday. If my friends find out that I have been hanging out with Jessie, I am sure half of them would shun me on the spot. "Are you going to Georgia's party this Friday?"

"Yeahhhh, I bet Zayn is really excited for that," Harry smirks. He looks at a group of girls across the hall, with Georgia in the middle of it. She glances in our direction, picking me out with her eyes, and gives a small wave. I pretend not to notice.

"How are things with Georgia, anyways?" Will asks. Will is sort of the jerk of the group. He is the one you do not want to disappoint. He is the person in the group that always "knows a guy". Getting on his bad side is not really something desirable. He can ruin a person's reputation in a day. And Will really wants Georgia and I to end up together. He thinks it will raise our standings in the school or something like that.

"Great," I say as believably as I can. In reality, I have not spoken to Georgia in weeks. She has been trying to text me, but I make up excuses to get me out of it. She is hot, no argument there, but she is one of those girls who expects to get everything she wants. Not to mention she is a total idiot.

I look away from Will. I have a feeling he can sense fear.

"Who was that girl you were with the other day? You know, on Saturday?" Louis asks, adding to my uncomfortableness.

"Wait a girl? Where was this?" Harry says.

"At the gelato shop where I work," Louis responds.

"You work at a gelato shop, Lou?" Harry says. He looks so lost, his jaw drops at everything one of us says like it is the most shocking thing he has ever heard. I am glad he is off subject though. It gives me a second to think while Louis has to explain the situation to him.

"Well?" Will asks. I forgot he was here, and his presence presses me into choosing a careful response.

"She was just a girl I have an art project with," I say. "We decided to get some ice cream since we were at the art store down the street."

He cocks his head a little, staring into my eyes before losing the anxiousness in his actions. "Well don't let her distract you from what you really want," he says jokingly, but still with a subtle tone of seriousness left for only me to detect.

"Georgia," Harry and Louis say in unison, obviously not catching on to the seriousness in Will's voice. The bell rings and I walk away from them without saying anything. I have art next.

*****************************

"I want everyone working on their group projects," Mr. Reynolds says to the silent class. He is cool. Nobody talks when he talks. We all respect him actually.

I glance over to Jessie who is staring at me. Her eyes shoot over to her desk and I grin. I love catching her. Today I wore my letterman jacket she had on yesterday just to freak her out. She is very fun to mess with. She lashes out when I push her too far, and it is hilarious.

Liam walks over to us which starts our group meeting. Jessie and I have the burden of telling the others that we did no work on the project last Saturday when we were supposed to. They accuse us of being lazy, which is true, but we defend ourselves saying we did not want to make any huge decisions without them there.

Sarah starts to talk to Jessie about her ideas. Jessie is obviously not paying attention. She starts to play with her hair, which is draped down her right shoulder. She puts little braids in it while continuing to nod to Sarah reassuringly. I laugh to myself. I can see it in Jessie- she is not the hardworking, innocent girl she tries to make herself out to be. There is another side to her that I have seen a glimpse of when we first became friends. That is what got me interested in her. I now desperately want to get to know that part of her.

I am not too involved in the conversations during the class, but what I get out of them is that we will be meeting at my house tomorrow to work on the project. How it ended up at my house, I have no clue, but I bet arguing with Sarah over that will not change anything.