Chapter 14

He drags a chair to my right and sits close to me. I bury myself in the book I am reading. I really do not need to be bothered right now.

I can hear him shuffle in the chair and clear his throat.

"Hi," he says. I look up at him for a second and my heart sinks. I have seen him before. He was younger though, he looked less mature, and I doubt he had all of those tattoos.

He smiles at me. "Hi," I say back.

I look down to my book, praying that the barista will finish my coffee soon. I was not planning on leaving for a while, I like to spend some time when I come here, but not with this guy.

"What's your name?"

"Jessie." I really cannot focus on the words I am reading. The barista finally calls out my name, and I rush to get my drink. He spills it though, and I have to wait for a new one. Just my luck. I look back at my table and see the guy going through his phone. He looks up at me and winks.

What the hell...

I need to find out where I know him from. He obviously does not remember me. What if I saw him on the news as a fugitive? It is possible. The man gives me a new coffee a minute or two later.

I walk back to the table and grab my purse. "Well I've got to run, so bye."

"I'm about to leave, too. I'll walk you to the door."

"Great," I mutter.

He follows me closely to the door and holds it shut so he can speak to me.

"Maybe I'll text you sometime."

"Yeah sure... Wait what?"

He chuckles. "Sorry, but you were the one who left your phone on the table."

"So you went through my phone?" So that is what the wink was about. I frantically search my purse to see if my phone is in it. He hands my phone to me with a stupid smirk he has held this entire time, and I feel like slapping him. But how could I have been so clueless to leave my purse at the table with a stranger?

"Yes. And, umm, my name is Harry." He smiles a dimpled smile that is somehow supposed to make up for what he did. "So I'll definitely text you, then."

"I have a boyfriend." I spit out. No I don't.

"No you don't."

I look at him with shock, and he smiles at it. "How did you know?"

"I didn't."

I stand there blushing at my own stupidity. "Whatever." He opens the door for me and I hurry out. I walk down the street, actually a bit worried if he is following me or not. I quickly glance behind me and see that he is not. He never even left the coffee shop. He is walking back into it by the time I see him.

*************

Charlotte and I are sitting on the couch of our apartment watching some sitcom. I go through my texts and see that I sent a message to a number I do not know. All it says is my name. My phone alerts me with a message from that same number.

On no.

From Unknown

Hey, it's me, Harry ;)

"Ugh," I say.

"What?" Charlotte asks.

"Some guy I met at the coffee shop is texting me."

She literally jumps out of the seat and crawls up next to me. Even after all these years, and the fact that she has a boyfriend, she is still obsessed with my relationships.

"Who is he?"

"His name's Harry."

"So why aren't you texting him back?" She says while intensely glaring at me.

"Because he was annoying," I object. She can get on my nerves so easily.

"Was he hot?"

"Well, sure, but-"

She steals my phone from me and runs across the room. This cannot be good. I fight her for it. I chase her down the hall, but she locks herself in her room. I sit at the door banging on it and screaming at her to give it back. After a few minutes of this, and knowing I have lost, she slides the phone under the door.

I snatch it and read what she texted him:

Heyyyy ;) so what's up?

He texted back:

Haha...well I was wondering if you wanted to catch a movie and get some dinner tonight

And she texted him back yes. So apparently I have a date with Harry tonight without my approval. I immediately text him saying that Charlotte was who he was really texting.

From Unknown

Oh. Sooo... Do you still want to go?

I sigh.

To Unknown

Sure.

My heart flutters. This is actually my first date in... a year maybe. I have been asked out, but I would always decline. I guess that is why Charlotte went to such drastic measures. I really do need this. But I know him.

This is going to bother me for the entire date if I do not find out who he is.