Chapter 14 - Out with the Old In with the New

Chapter Fourteen - Out with the Old, In with the New

The empty bed and drawers next to Megan haunted her for the rest of the night.

She dreamt of orphanages on the other side of the country and leaving everything that she had behind.

It was 5am when Megan knew she wasn't going to get any more sleep.

She got up and went to the bathroom for a shower.

Megan looked at herself in the mirror and saw that the red and blue stripes in her hair were starting to fade, looking under the sink to Megan found some old dye.

The package wasn't there and there was no label on the foil packet.

"Screw it" Megan opened the packet and jumped in the shower. Using bleaching shampoo she got rid of what was left of the dye and emptied the new packet on to her hair.

She got out of the shower, by then it was 5:20am.

Walking back to her room she noticed two more empty rooms with their doors wide open.

6am eventually rolled around and Megan found out that the hair dye was a blood red.

It was now in a fishtail braid down her back.

She was about to go downstairs when she heard Claudia's voice followed by Donald's so she opted for the window which still had the ladder under it from the night before.

Megan got on the early bus and went straight to the back.

She knew Athena wouldn't be on the bus and she doubted Tommy would be, not that that would make a difference since he wouldn't talk to her if he was with his mates.

She was halfway to school when the bus doors opened to let in the one and only Guinevere and the cheerleaders.

Megan was getting her headphones out of her bag when Guinevere got to the back of the bus.

"Oh, look here girls. It's Megan 'I can't play soccer but I tried' Watson." The girls behind her started laughing along with Guinevere. "I see you've changed your hair. Sorry to break it to you but no matter what you do to your hair it won't draw enough attention away from your hideous face." That made the rest of them start laughing even harder.

Megan kept telling herself to ignore them.

To let it go because she wasn't worth it.

At the same time she kept seeing Tommy and her making out.

She saw Guinevere smiling while Megan was on the ground, holding the tennis ball container.

"Get lost Guinevere."

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. I said get lost, the bus is basically empty. Find a different seat and leave me alone."

Guinevere and the rest of the cheerleaders were shocked at what Megan had said.

The dumb looks on their faces made Megan suppress a smirk before she put her headphones in and looked out the window, ignoring the girls.

They stood there for a few seconds longer before before turning around and sitting at the front of the bus.

They soon arrived at school as there was barely anyone at the bus stops.

Megan waited until the rest of the girls had gotten off before heading to her locker.

Once there she saw a letter sticky taped to the front.

Hey Meg,

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye. I've been sent to San Diego, California. There's a foster home that said they would have me. I'm going to school there next week and I'm so nervous. I can't imagine my life without you Meg. It's been 8 years sharing a room with you and now all of a sudden I'm alone. I wish you all the best wherever they send you and good luck.

Please keep in touch
Jess

Megan read the note as a tear ran down her face.

She quickly wiped it away and shoved the letter into the bottom of her bag.

She put her stuff away before grabbing her Sports books and heading out to the bleaches.

It was 7:30 and Megan was sitting under the bleaches doing the Soccer essay that she was meant to have down for homework last night when her phone went off.

Athena
Where r u? I'm on the bus. U at skool?

Megan put the phone down and went pack to writing the essay. It was 8 when she received another message.

Athena
Helooooooo? U gonna answer me? Where r u?

Once again Megan put the phone down and then packed up her books and came out from under the bleaches.

She made her way back to her locker, put everything away and headed towards Homeroom.