Chapter 2 - Try-Outs

Chapter Two - Try-Outs

The day flew by quickly but not quickly enough.

Athena had found a sign up sheet for the girls soccer team and had forced Megan's hand into signing up with her.

They were recruiting only a select few to replace the old seniors and other drop-outs of the previous year.

"I am so uncoordinated and I'll look stupid. Why don't you go and I'll support you?" Megan was hating the idea of having to run around and most likely fall over the ball.

"No, no, no. You have to do it or else I'll look like a loner on the field"

"Fine" Megan knew there was no point in arguing with Athena, she would always win.

As the girls walked down to the back fields Megan was starting to get anxious.

Her teachers were always telling her to do more at school like sports or the writing club but she had always been too afraid to join up.

What if they didn't like her, told her she wasn't good enough or she made a new enemy.

That wasn't what she wanted to do at all so she just didn't bother but apparently today she would break that pattern.

It was 3:45 when they arrived and the other girls were already warming up on the field.

Megan looked behind her to see Athena's eyes light up with joy.

Athena dragged her by the elbow to the change rooms.

By the time they stepped out of the room it was 4 o'clock and the try outs were about to start.

Coach stepped out on to the middle of the field and gave Megan an interested look.

She knew that Megan wasn't very athletic and was just as surprised as Megan that she was standing in front of her.

"Ok listen up" started Coach "we're going to start with some foot work drills. Get into a line and grab a ball. To the other end and back, in and out of the cones then when you finish two goals. Ok ready, set, go!"

At the whistle everyone ran to the ball bag and did as they were told.

Megan kept to the back of the line knowing she was going to mess up.

As the ball hit her feet and she rounded the first corner she lost control of the ball and it flew away from her so that she had run to get it back before it crossed onto the middle field where the boys team was training.

They looked up at her arrival, Megan grabbed the ball and ran back to the girls try-outs as fast as she could though she did notice a couple of guys looking at her, including Tommy.

When she got back everyone else was coming back on the other side. She raced to keep up with them, not without losing the ball once or twice more.

When she finally got back to he other side she went for her two goals.

She severely missed and earned her some snickering from the other girls.

Athena did well getting both of her goals in.

Coach planned a few more running and scoring drills. At the end she announced the girls that had made it into the second part of try outs.

"Savanna, Beth, Georgina, Isabelle C, Isabelle G and Athena. Thank you to all the other girls that tried out." When coach had finished talking Athena jumped into Megan's arms.

She didn't have enough breath to talk but Megan could tell that she was over joyed.

What surprised Megan the most though was that she actually felt a little upset that she didn't make it on to the soccer team.