Chapter 5 - Practice Makes Perfect

Chapter Five - Practice Makes Perfect

At the end of the day Athena, Chris and Megan walked to the soccer fields together.

"We're just going to sit on the benches here and watch." Megan motioned to the benches that were facing where the try-outs were going to be held.

She chucked her bag under the bleachers while Athena walked to the change rooms to get ready.

Chris cautiously sat next to her and placed his bag by his feet.

"Hi my name is Megan but everyone calls me Meg. You probably remember me from the bus." Megan thought they should get acquainted if her bestfriend was going to start dating him.

Chris looked a little taken back that Megan was talking to him but recovered quickly and started talking with more confidence then she had ever seen in him before when he wasn't creeping her out.

"I'm Chris but you already know that. Oh by the way I am so sorry if I am the reason you got off the bus this morning. I didn't mean for you to get off I just really wanted to sit next to Athena." he look so sincere that Megan couldn't blame him.

"No, no. I just needed to stretch my legs and get some fresh air, those buses can get so stuffy" Megan was about to continue the conversation that was so far going quite well when Coach blew her whistle.

"Oh that means Athena's about to play, we should probably watch." Chris nodded in agreement and they sat silently for the next half hour watching Athena play with all the other girls on the field.

* * * * *

At 4:30 the girls gathered around coach to hear who had made it on to the team.

"Ok, as you know we can only take three people this year from year 10 as the team already has enough year 11 and 12's on it. So the people that made it in are Savanna, Isabelle C and Athena. Once again thank you all for trying out. This really was a hard decision."

Athena hadn't heard the end of that speech as she had already run to Megan and Chris and hugged them both.

When she pulled away from them she gave them her biggest goofy smile and almost yelled "I did it! I made it on to the team!"

"That's fantastic"..."Congratulations"..."Good Job".

Both Megan and Chris congratulated Athena profusely until Megan suggested Athena get ready for a celebratory dinner with Chris.

At once Athena and Megan excused themselves to the bathroom to get ready.

While Megan began to braid a small section of Athena's hair to the side Athena asked her an interesting question.

"Do you think I should keep seeing Chris after this date? I mean he's nice and all but I'm just not sure." she seemed a bit embarrassed asking her the question.

"Well if you're not sure then don't force any romance on it or do something you don't want to do but, personally I think he is kind and it might be good for you to give him two or three chances before you make up you're mind." Megan really thought it would be good for Athena to go out with someone who isn't just there so Athena can say she has a boyfriend, this guy might just be different and interesting enough to change that habit.

"Well, ok. Oh I love what you did with my hair. I think I'm ready. See you later Meg and thanks a bunch." Athena turned and walked out of the toilets.

When Megan emerged from the toilets neither of them were in sight.

Megan made her way to the bleachers where Chris and her had watched the try-outs and pulled her bag from underneath the bench.

The soccer ball was just where she left it.

As she walked to the middle of the field she was completely unaware of the peering eyes that were following her.

When she finally made it to the last field with the nets still in the goals she did a couple of minutes practising what she did yesterday until she decided she should try something new.