Chapter 20 - No Good With Goodbyes

Chapter Twenty - No Good With Goodbyes

"You'll be leaving this weekend so we better start packing tomorrow after school. Come straight home and I'll be home early from work so at we can get on to it. How does that sound?" This was the nicest Megan had ever seen Donald and yet this was the first time that she truly loathed him.

"Mhmm, great" Megan mumbled as she turned around and headed back up to her room.

She didn't want to cause a fuss so instead of slamming her door shut she pulled the pillow over her head and screamed into it.

When she had finished she took the pillow away from her face and saw Claudia leaning in her door frame.

A bit ashamed Megan met Claudia's eyes.

"Are you finished?" Claudia asked with a small smile which just angered Megan further.

"Get out!" A flash of hurt crossed Claudia's face as Megan yelled at her before she composed herself and walked towards Megan and sat on the end of her bed.

"Want to tell me what this is all about?" Claudia made sure to not anger Megan.

"It's just..." Claudia could see the tears welling up in Megan's eyes and saw how hard Megan was fighting to keep them away.

"Look up sweetie. It helps the tears go away." Megan did as Claudia suggested and it did help. Still looking at the ceiling Megan began to speak.

"It's just that this is the first time in ages that I've truly felt at home. Sure schools crap but I have Tommy and Athena and I have soccer. I feel like everything is just right and now it's being taken away from me. I don't want to leave and start a new life, I love my life here. I don't care that your always yelling, I didn't care that Jess couldn't keep a secret and I don't mind being hated at school. All I want is to stay here." Megan took a deep breath after she had finished.

"I didn't know you were hated at school..." Claudia Megan but was cut off.

"It doesn't matter anymore, I'm moving so I don't have to deal with them."

"Honey, I know it's going to be hard for you. It was hard for everyone that moved away.  You just have to take life on the chin. If you and this Tommy are so perfect for each other then he will understand and wait for you. Your 15..."

"16."

"What?"

"My birthday was last week...I spent it with Tommy."

"You didn't tell us that."

"You were too busy with everyone leaving and selling the place that I didn't really think it mattered. So yeah, I'm 16." Megan had brought her face from looking at the ceiling to down looking at her hands clasped in front of her as she explained to Claudia.

"Well there you go, 16. Two more years and you can leave. You can do what you want. You can be with Tommy, move back to Canberra. You can do anything." Claudia out her arm on Megan's shoulder only to have it pushed away as Megan stood up.

"I don't want to wait two years. I want to be with Tommy now. I want to stay here and do my own thing now" Before Claudia could say another word Megan had grabbed her jacket and still unpacked school bag before tearing down the stairs and out the front door.

It was a quick 15 minutes walk to Athena's house. Without thinking Megan climbed the tree that lead to Athena's bedroom window and called her.

"Hello...it's 12:10 in the morning. What are you doing?" Athena had woken up groggy and quickly became agitated as she noticed the time.

"Just open your window." Megan whispered quickly before hanging up and putting her phone back in her bag.

A minute later Athena opened her window to see Megan perched in the branch that lead to her roof.

"Megan what are you doing here?"

"I need to come in."

"Yeah, yeah of course." Megan slid the rest of the way across the branch before jumping into Athena's window.

Athena stood, looking at down at Megan who was sitting in her knees in front of her window, in her dressing gown and pyjamas. "You gonna explain?"

"They found a home for me."

Athena looked at her completely confused. "What?"

"I'm moving away. Claudia and Donald have found a home to send me to. I leave this weekend." A single tear slid down Megan's face and soon enough she was enveloped in Athena's arms.

"Oh my god." Was all Athena could say.

It was around 12:30 when the tears had stopped.

Athena stood up and reached her arm down to help Megan up.

She walked towards her bed and birth collapsed, utterly exhausted from the meltdown.

As Athena dozed off Megan was left with her mind running in every direction.

What about Tommy?
Where am I being sent?
Where will I go to school?
Will I be able to play soccer?

It was around 1 in the morning when the dark numbness of sleep engulfed her.

8:30.

They had to be at school at 8:30 and it was 8:15.

Athena's alarm woke them up at 7 but both of them were too tired to do anything so now Megan was scrambling down the tree so that she wasn't spotted by Athena's parents and Athena was running down the stairs saying goodbye to them before grabbing some fruit and sandwiches for both herself and Megan.

In a few minutes they met at the front of her house and ran to school.

It was 8:29 when the girl walked through the school gates.

Chris was still waiting for Athena at the front to say good morning before they parted ways.

Megan went straight to Homeroom and made it just through the door as the bell went.

Homeroom was only 15 minutes and yet it felt like an hour, today was going to be a long day.

The rest of the day went as blur for Megan.

Chris joined Athena and her in the library for lunch and they were in their own world for all of it which didn't bother Megan, she didn't feel like talking.

As school came to a finish Megan made her way to the soccer fields.

This was the moment she had dreaded.

The moment that she had to say goodbye.

She had never been good with them, always avoiding them.

But this was one goodbye that she could not avoid.