Chapter 6 - An Uninvited Guest

Chapter Six - An Uninvited Guest

For seven days Megan had finished her soccer practice at 6:30 after school, she did once again and was about to make her way home when she saw movement out the corner of her eye.

She turned around to face the bleachers where she had sat during try-outs.

At first nothing was noticeably out of place, then more movement.

When she knelt down so that she was at eye level with the second last step she stared into the eyes of someone.

Megan was a little startled until she recognised the face that was squinting across the field to look at her. Tommy.

Abruptly Megan stood up and turned around.

She could here shuffling under the benches and knew that Tommy was coming out.

She picked up her pace hoping that she could get to the change rooms before he caught up with her, there she would stay until he left.

Though she had no such luck, just as she was about to turn into the change room a hand lightly rested on her shoulder and turned her around.

When she had fully turned around she saw Tommy looking at her with questioning eyes.

"Um....ahh....sorry Tommy but I have to go, it's quite late and I don't want to miss too much of dinner." Megan tried to turn around but Tommy stopped her before she got the chance.

"No, no way are you going with out giving me some answers." Megan knew that there was no point in denying anything, he had seen her practicing and she didn't know how long he had known either.

"What do want to know?"

"Well how about firstly, why?" he had moved his arms frantically in front of him to show his confusion.

"Well.....I guess I wanted to try something new. I know you saw me at try-outs the other day and I know I was God awful, so for once I wanted to not........wait why I am telling you that. It doesn't matter. All I wanted to do was practice soccer." Megan couldn't believe that she had almost told Tommy about her insecurities.

She diverted her eyes away from him so that he couldn't see that she was lying.

"Let me have a guess at finishing that sentence. You wanted to not give up in something and stick it out, try to be the best you can be in something and give it all your effort?" Megan just looked at Tommy, not knowing what to say. "Look, you may not believe me but I know what that feels like. When I was in year 8 I was absolutely awful at music. But my mum wanted me to play an instrument. She didn't pressure me or anything but I did that enough to myself. I dedicated an hour a day to teach myself piano and finally I got a private piano teacher. I didn't tell anyone because it was 'uncool' to play an instrument. But that doesn't matter, now when I want to relax I can sit in front of my piano and play." Megan stood there a little shocked by the heart to heart that she was experiencing.

He noticed that she wasn't going to say anything and so continued. "Anyway, secondly like in my story I finally got a private teacher. I was wondering if you maybe wanted me to start to help you and maybe teach you a bit of what I know?" this had shocked Megan back to her functioning state.

"Tommy. Thank you so much for the offer but you don't need to do that." Megan just wanted to get out of this situation before it got worse. "I think I'll do it by myself. Thanks anyway".

This time when Megan turned away Tommy didn't stop her.

She walked home and arrived just before 7pm.