Chapter 16 - Love Like You've Never Been Hurt

Chapter Sixteen -  Love Like You've Never Been Hurt

4:20...4:25...4:30...4:35

Megan had been counting the minutes up to and past 4:30. It was now 4:37 and she had decided that she could face Tommy, really, all she wanted to do was play soccer.

As Megan approached the soccer field she started to get uneasy feeling.

That when she saw Tommy and Guinevere sitting at the top of the bleachers together.

At first she thought they were making out but as she got closer she could that they sure were passionate...passionately fighting.

"I can't believe you..."

"Calm down ok it wasn't that bad, who even cares about her..."

"I do. Guinevere we are so done..." Tommy stood up grabbed his bag and tore down the bleachers right towards me. Without a word he grabbed Megan's arm and guided her away to the school gates.

"Tommy what's going o..." She was quickly interrupted.

"Don't. Just walk." They walked out the school, down the road and down a small street next to a kindergarten.

He lead her to a small park with a single slide two swings and a sad looking cubby house.

As he got closer to the swings Tommy let go of Megan and went to sit on them, Megan followed.

"Now can we talk?"

"Look Megan I'm really sorry..."

"No, I should be sorry. I shouldn't have ignored you its just that I have something to tell you but I was too afraid and..."

"No, I'm not talking about that. I'm sorry for what's going to happen." Tommy then registered what it was that Megan had been saying. "Wait, what do you have to tell me?"

Now Megan was confused "Wait, no, that can wait. What do you mean you're sorry for what's going to happen?"

"I thought you heard what I said to Guinevere?"

"I did..." Megan wasn't getting what Tommy was trying to hint at.

With a big sigh he explained. "I admitted that I had feelings for you and because of that and because I broke up with her she's going to tell all her friends and is going to make your life a living hell at school."

A small smile spread across Megan's face to his shock. "Why are you smiling?"

"'Cause I'd like to see her try"

"Like to see her try what?" Tommy was getting even more confused

"I'd like to see her try and make my life a living hell at school" Megan smile started to slip as she thought about what it was that she had to say next.

"I don't understa..."

"C&D' is closing down and in the next 6 months I'm going to be resettled and sent away to a new foster home or orphanage. It could be one town over or it could be on the other side of the country. I don't know."

Silence fell over the two of them as they sat on swings side by side.

Neither of them had any words.

Some time had passed until Tommy stood up and walked behind Megan.

He slowly began to push her on the swing.

That stayed that way for a while until Tommy stopped pushing and went back to sit on his swing.

As Megan slowed down and soon came to halt he reached out to intertwine their fingers together.

As the night went on they stayed that way.

Kids coming out for the afternoon with their parents played around them on the slide and with a ball in the oval.

It was only what afternoon turned to dusk that Tommy cleared his throat.

"So...you don't know when you're leaving or where you're going to?"

"Nope" Megan replied popping the 'p'

Silence fell upon them again but Tommy wanted answers.

"So, if I asked you to be my girlfriend then you'd probably say no 'cause ya know, your moving away and all" Megan looked at Tommy in shock. Had he just asked her to be his girlfriend?

"Well, since I don't know when I'm leaving...it could be in six months and all...so I'd probably say yes." Megan said all of this looking at her feet.

As soon as she had finished talking she felt him let go of her hand and stand up.

Soon enough he was holding both of her hands and she tilted her face upwards towards him, right onto his lips.

It was a simple kiss but it meant the world it both of them.

They pulled away and smiled. In silence they walked home together.

Tommy stopped walking at the end of Megan's street "So I know we didn't get to do a lot of soccer today..." Both of them laughed.

"It's all good, you'll just have to make it up to me won't you." She leant in for another kiss before pulling away. "I'll you tomorrow, but let's keep us on the down low. I don't feel like dealing with your ex tomorrow."

"Don't worry I get it. I'll see you at 4:30. The bleachers. Ok?"

"Ok. Good night Tommy"

"Night Megan." She turned around and walked won the street. When she entered she was greater by Claudia.

"Megan I know you're older now but you can't stay out this late."

"It's only 9" Megan rolled her eyes not caring what she had to say.

"And it's a school night."

"Whatever..." Megan walked past Claudia and up the stairs. As she walked to her room she noticed an open door. Another empty bed.