Chapter 17 - 1,2,3 You Can Count On Me

Chapter Seventeen - 1,2,3 You Can Count On Me

"I can't believe it..."

"What the hell..."

"Who the hell does she think she is..."

"Losers. Who would break up with Guinevere for that!"

Tommy and Megan were holding hands as they walked down the corridor to Homeroom.

Just as he had predicted, the school had sided with Guinevere and were not happy.

They were being stared at and occasionally Megan would be shoved by passerby on their way to Homeroom.

They walked in silence and sighed a sigh of relief as they sat down in the safety of Homeroom.

Athena soon walked in and sat in front of Megan. None of them said a word but faced each other.

With five minutes to go before the bell Guinevere and two of her friends walked into their classroom.

"Hey guys," She had a huge fake smile plastered on her face and she was talking in a sickly sweet tone. "We were just wondering...how long?" The smile had vanished from her face as she finished her sentence.

Megan and Tommy looked at each other in total confusion.

"What?" They asked at the same time

"How long were you cheating on me with that...thing?" Before either of them could answer Athena stood up and slapped Guinevere right a cross the face.

"How dare you accuse him of cheating on you. He's not in the wrong here. You're a bitch and he didn't want to put up with it anymore. Sorry that he had a friendship with Megan but you know what she's a thousand times nicer than you so no wonder they fell for each other." Guinevere opened her mouth to say something as Mr Leoman entered the classroom.

"Good morning everyone...oh Guinevere, Gina and Bethany. What are you doing in here?" Before they could answer he continued "Back to class please."

Without another word they turned on their heels and left.

First couple of periods were ok.

Megan had either Tommy or Athena in her class.

Lunch came around quickly much to Tommy and Megan's horror.

The first couple of minutes in the lunch line were fine but it was when they were sitting down with Chris and Athena that things started to happen.

Firstly, everyone sitting at the table with them got up and moved either to a different table or just kept the cafeteria completely.

Then, the entire 'popular kids' table, were Tommy used to sit, got up and made their way over to them.

Tommy looked up to see his entire soccer team looking at them. Some had anger in their eyes but most of them looked a bit sad.

"Hey guys what's up?" Tommy asked trying to break the tension.

Daniel, his vice captain stepped forward and put his hand on Tommy's shoulder.

"Sorry to do this to you man but...we were talking to coach and we thought it was time for a new captain. We had a vote and because you didn't win coach thinks maybe you've lost the support of the team and well...your out." Tommy looked at Daniel and the rest of his friends in awe.

He knew that they didn't want to kick him out.

It clicked in his head that those that were angry, some of his best mates - Angus and Toby- were pissed off because they were being forced to kick him out, and he knew by who.

As soon as he had finished speaking they all turned around and walked away leaving behind the cheer squad and a few other non-athletic popular kids.

Guinevere stepped forward with Bobby Distrion, the schools star boxer.

"Hey Tommy, this is my new boyfriend Bobby." She motioned between Tommy and Bobby. "Bobby meet Tommy, Tommy meet Bobby. Now Bobby has something to say don't you Bobby."

Guinevere stepped back as Bobby stepped forward, Chris and Tommy stiffened next to Megan and Athena.

"So, which one of you rejects slapped my girl?"

"I did." Athena responded before Chris or Tommy could say anything.

"Ok, well this is for her..." He took a step towards Athena and raised his hand. 

"Hey hey hey, there's no need for that. She won't do it again ok?" Tommy had jumped up and was standing in between Bobby and Athena.

"Tommy you better move or so help me"

"What, what will you do?"

"This" in a flash Bobby's hand curled into a fist and slammed into Tommy's face.

The class bell rang and the audience that had accumulated around the table began to disperse.

Guinevere clung to Bobby's arm as they walked away, Athena and Chris blended into the crowd and Tommy's old soccer team was the last to leave giving him an apologetic look as they left.

They rest of the day didn't go fast enough but it wasn't too long before Tommy and Megan were once again hand in hand walking home.

"So, that wasn't too bad was it?" Megan looked up at Tommy who was holding her around her waist as they stood next to the ladder leading up to her bedroom window.

"Well, I pretty much lost all my friends, was kicked off my soccer team and have a black eye from Guinevere's new-boyfriend. So yeah I guess it wasn't too bad." Tommy tried to smile to show that he was ok but Megan could see he was hurt.

That soccer team meant a lot to him and he would definitely miss his friends.

"I'm so sorry Tommy..." Megan began.

"No, no. Don't be sorry. This isn't your fault, it's theirs. They can't see over their egos. It's ok though. I'll figure something out." He leant in to kiss her goodnight and then helped her up the ladder to her bedroom window.

"Good night Megan Watson"

"Good night Tommy Wesley." With a quick kiss on the lips he was gone and Megan was already drifting off.