Chapter 8 - Sisterly Love and Betrayal

Chapter Eight - Sisterly Love and Betrayal

The next day was normal.

At least it started off normal until Athena got on the bus with Chris.

They were holding hands and laughing, actually laughing.

It was strange to see Chris with a smile on his lips.

As they walked towards where I was sitting I stood up and crossed the aisle so that they could sit next to each other.

After some light discussion we were almost at school and both of them thought it prime time to discuss their next date.

I hadn't realised who I had sat down next to until they lightly coughed.

Not enough to sound sick but enough to get someone's attention.

I turned around and was stunned.

Shayla Wesley looked at me with a big smile on her face. Shayla was Tommy's older sister.

She was graduating that year and even though both of them had known each other for what felt like forever through Jacob, they hadn't actually ever talked before.

"Hi, I was just wondering. Are you Megan Watson?" Megan was a little astonished that she didn't remember her name, but she answered politely anyway.

"Yeah that's me though all my friends call me Meg." Shayla looked away with a thoughtful look on her face. At last she turned back to Megan and started talking again.

"My brother will probably see this as betrayal because he doesn't want me to tell you this but I think you might like what I am about to say." Shayla had an expression on her face the Megan couldn't put her finger on. It could have been guilt but she didn't know for sure.

She wasn't sure where the conversation was going but let her continue anyway.

"My brother won't stop talking about you. I mean it's Megan this and Megan that. I don't know if you really know him that well but he so does not talk about Guinevere that way, so take it as a complement. I also know for a fact that he was pretty bummed out when you said no to his offer to teach you soccer. If he asks you again, maybe you could say yes?" Her eyebrows raised as she asked the question, apparently knowing all about Megan's unwillingness to be coached by Tommy. "It would mean a lot to him and then I wouldn't have to see home moping around the house. Well thanks see you later and say hi to Jacob for me." She stood up and walked off the bus.

Chris followed her but Athena waited for Megan to compose herself after that strange conversation.

"You ok Meg?" Athena looked at her with concern in her eyes.

"Who? Me? Yeah I'm fine just had a strange conversation." She gave Athena a bright smile and they got off the bus. "We don't want to be late for Homeroom again, we better pick up the pace.

* * * * *

As Athena and Megan entered Homeroom the bell rang.

They gave each other quick satisfied grins and walked to their lockers.

After preparing for the day ahead they settled down and listened to an announcement that Mr Leoman had for the class.

"Students, students. Quieten down I have something important to tell you." Once he had the attention of everyone in the room he called out into the hall.

Tommy stepped into the room with two bags full of books. "Class we are having a new student join our Homeroom due to some timetable rearrangements. Please make him feel welcome even though it is in the middle of term 2." Mr Leoman motioned towards the back of the classroom. "Now Thomas, you can have the top locker next to the window and can sit between Stephen and Megan in the back row."

As Thomas put his things away and sat down in his chair Megan tried not to look at him.

Once he had sat down he turned towards her but Megan quickly tapped Athena who was sitting in front of her and started to talk so instead Tommy started talking to Stephen.