Chapter 18 - Game On

Chapter Eighteen - Game On

It's been three months.

There are four left at C&D's and everyday Megan have to wakes up and walks past another empty bedroom.

The remaining kids have all moved onto the same floor, the top one.

It used to have the youngest ones but now there's only Megan, Damien, Courtney and Winnie. Winnie's only 6 so they thought they should move to be with her.

The only reasons she's still her is because she was fortunate enough to get adopted.

The young ones always have a better chance and she's new to the system so they want to get her out quickly especially with the closing down.

Damien's also lucky, he's been told where he's going; one town over to an all boys foster home.

He already knows two of the boys there through football so now he's just waiting for the eldest one to move out so he can move in.

Courtney turns 18 in three weeks.

She was second oldest, just under Jacob but since he's long gone now Claudia's made sure Courtney doesn't have to go someone else for not even a month.

So that just leaves Megan. She's the last one to be placed.

Donald talks to the institutes each week asking if any places are open yet at foster homes. If they don't find her home in the next month then she's off to another orphanage.

It's been a rough couple of months.

Not only has home been horrible but schools gotten worse.

Megan doesn't catch the bus anymore just in case she bumps into one of them.

Athena and her spend lunch and recess in the library, sometimes Chris will come and sit with them if it's empty but if not they understand why he steers clear.

Athena sometimes gets annoyed at him for doing it but Megan gets it.

Since Tommy's moved schools they don't see each other there and Megan don't have his support there either.

But she doesn't really care.

She doesn't care about Guinevere and her friends.

She doesn't care that they spread rumours about her because to be honest, everyone knows they're just rumours.

All she cares about is the precious 2 hours she spends after school at the park with Tommy.

They have not stopped playing soccer together.

Everyday, like clockwork, they play from 4 till 6.

His new school has soccer training at lunch so she never has to wait.

They catch up on weekends and she goes and watches his team play.

He's still trying to convince her to play for an out of school team but she doesn't see the point when she'll be moving so soon.

They both know that the day will come when she's the one packing her bags and moving but they're making every moment that they have together count.

That's why she didn't move schools as well.

If everything at C&D's wasn't going on she probably would have moved to Jess' school.

Megan still spoke to Jess, they would text all the time and called each other every weekend.

It had been ages since they'd actually seen each other and every time Jess had offered to come down Megan told her not to, she didn't want Jess to find out what was happening at school through some of Jess' old friends who Megan went to school with.

"Ok, so now it's my turn to be goalie and its your turn to shoot" Tommy calls out from the net and Megan obliges.

"Sure but just know your gonna get your arse kicked!" They laugh as they pass each other quickly pecking each other's lips. "Ok, give it your best shot."

As the months have gone by Megan found that she was surprising really good at goalie. She didn't expect it due to have so very little hand-eye coordination and yet...

Tommy lined up his shot and went for it. He used to hold back a little but when he noticed how could she actually was he didn't want to get showed up by his girlfriend.

It was a hard kick but Megan could see it swing to the left just in time to knock it into the post.

"Ahhh and the crowd goes wild" Megan yells in the air laughing and pumping her fists in the air.

"Alright alright, let's not let your ego get any bigger than it already is." Both of them laugh and make they're way over to their bags off to the side next to the goals.

"So, have you got a game this weekend?" Megan asks Tommy as she picks up her drink bottle.

"Yeah, it's against Lloyd High which means it's the mixed team."

"Ohhhh, that should be good. Text me the time and address and I'll be there."

"Cool." They both put their drink bottles down and went back to the field for some more practice. It was round 5:30 when Tommy's 'squad' showed up.

"Hey guys" Tommy's friends from his soccer tea usually came by on a Friday to play a couple of rounds with us. "You guys up for a rematch? Megan, James, Connor and Me versus Brandon, Toby, Lee and Robbie."

"You bet" Lee was the first to answer. "We're gonna kick your arses so badly this time."

"In your dreams" Connor called over his shoulder as he sets down his bag and pulls out a whistle. "Hey Mick, you wanna ref again?"

Mick hobbled over to Connor in his crutches and grabbed the whistle while whispering obscenities under his breath.

Everyone knew he was a star player and that tearing his ACL hurt more than just physically but they couldn't help themselves from laughing.

"Alright alright. I get it, laugh at the crippled boy. Just remember that when I'm off these crutches I'm back to team captain and my training's are going to be nowhere near as nice and easy as Tommy's are."

With that he chucked the soccer ball that he had picked up into the middle of the field and blew the wistles, the game was on.