Chapter 15

Kayla walked slowly down the hospital's white tile hallway dragging a tall metal pole with a sloping hook at the top behind her. The hook was holding a bag of fluid which was connected to her via wire. After asking, a nurse told her it was called an IV. She walked close to the wall on her right side using her hands to feel the way on the side she couldn't see.

Couldn't see.

It still came as a shock, and uncontrollable rage bubbled up inside her. Kayla stubbed her fingers on a railing attached to the wall and gripped it until her knuckles turned white. Just thinking about it made her head hurt, the memories terrifying. The knife coming closer and closer...

Her knees gave out under her and she stumbled gripping onto the wall and the hook at the same time. Breathe. Breathe. She had to remind herself forcing  air in and out of her mouth. She closed her eyes straining against the headache she was developing, focusing on the movement of her ribs expanding and contracting until she was able to stand without shaking. Slowly she let go of the railing and took another grueling step forward. The sound of yelling made her turn her head and glance down an adjacent hall, a sound which she followed. She slunk along the hallway ducking her head at anyone who passed by nervous that someone would shove her back into the tiny little room. To her great surprise any passing nurses only smiled softly and hurried along their way.

They were probably glad she hadn't tried to maul any of them like 512 had so far. The mere thought made her smile softly to herself though she felt a sharp pang of worry as she wondered where exactly 512 was, though at farther thought she knew exactly who would be on her friends mind. 513.

After she had woken up the second time she had come face to face with a boy about her height with black hair and deep blue eyes. His eyes had entranced her, being the color of deep water rather than the icy color of the Others. Her breath had caught in her throat and she had whispered hoarsely squinting her eye against the glare of the harsh lights having trouble adjusting to their brightness. "513?" The boy had scrunched his nose and tiled his head before he looked at her confused only to look guilty when the grin had fallen off of her face replaced by a deep solemn stare.

"Whose that?" He asked softly from the stiff chair he sat in beside her hospital bed. The beeping of machines was the only reply as she had stiffly blinked even that small motion sending knifes through her head. "I'm Daisuke." The boy had stayed beside her for the past couple days, probably assigned to make sure she didn't kill a nurse or destroy something, even though Kayla hadn't been in the condition to move let alone attack someone, probably because of how 512 acted.

Her flashback was suddenly ended as she rounded a corner and came face to face with quite a chaotic scene. A woman with brown hair and a bandage wrapped around her left hand was yelling and kicking to get out the main doors. Kayla laughed dryly amused until she saw who was fighting to get into the main doors.

"512?!" She gasped and hobbled toward the commotion. "Whats going on?"

"Looks like your friend is good at causing trouble with the wrong people." Kayla flinched and looked to her right in the direction of the voice to see Daisuke, who was smiling lightly at the scene before him his eyes locking onto 512 for the moment. Kayla looked at him speechless, she hadn't heard him or sensed him what so ever. A few of the doctors had the woman's arms behind her back and were leading her into a different hallway, even as the woman continued to spew empty but harsh words at 512 over her shoulder. The nurses and other patients that had gathered looked around in confusion and wonder before gazing at 512 with... fear? Kayla couldn't tell. Instead she turned her gaze back to her friend.

512 was also being held back by the two boys at her side, both of which Kayla didn't know. Her face fixed in a snarl, her red eyes sharp and deadly. Kayla tilted her head slightly wondering what had happened, words alone wouldn't have provoked a reaction from 512 at all, let alone such a violent one.