Chapter 7

(Added picture is the memory)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

512 rested, breathing heavily, all while still laying on her stomach in the air duct. She turned her head around trying to see another air vent to tell where she was, where Kayla and 514 were, where 513 was, and of course where the exit was. Every time she looked down out of an air vent all she would see was a black hallway with black walls and a black floor, and nearly all of the hallways looked like that in the Experiment Hall so it didn't help any of her problems.

She took a few deep breathes and began to crawl forward ignoring the pain that spiked in her back every time she moved. The longer she crawled the more worried she began to get. The layout of the Air duct was very different then the map of the hallways she had created in her head, and she was quickly getting lost.

She exhaled and wiped a piece of her stringy white hair out of her red eyes as she turned another corner and had to stop again hoping her cease of movement would help her pain. As she rested her chin on the cold metal bottom of the air duct the piece of her hair fell back into her eyes. She huffs slightly and watches it move with her breath.

Slowly her eyes begin to sting and her mouth dries up as she thinks about 512 and how he used to always make fun of how that one piece of hair would go separately than the rest. And then how he would reach out and brush it behind her ear, only to laugh softly as it fell back... Her heart did a slight jump as the memory of his laugh rings in her ears.

Desperately she rubs her eyes and wills herself to keep moving. There was still hope. He could still be alive, the only thing she had to do was find him. And Kayla. and 514. And the exit.

This calming down thing was not working out very well, and she exhaled slightly watching her hair move again. Then she stopped realizing her hair was moving by itself.

For a second, slightly crazy with her worry and a fair amount of blood loss, she thought her hair was alive and her eyes widen slightly following the movement of the piece of hair.

Slowly her brain corrects itself and she realizes that's impossible and licks her chapped lips slightly. Sure enough, now she can feel an ever so slight, warm breeze.

A breeze..? What in the world is this.... It took her brain a few more moments to piece together the rest of her thoughts. Oh ya... I'm in an air vent.... but then should I follow the air? She closed her eyes trying to feel the breeze with her skin, having only a little luck, but relaxed as the wind feels strangely comforting and familiar. It doesn't seem hot enough to be coming from a boiler... or maybe its an air conditioning system? Should i follow it? Already she can see herself making the mistake and falling into a boiling hot heater for being chopped up by the fans of an air conditioning system.

She continues to stay still debating what she should do next, follow the air flow and see weather or not it could lead outside. Or continue wandering around. The only thing that made it difficult was that if the wind was actually a gust of air made by a boiler or a air conditioner she would be put into danger.

But then again, when was anything not dangerous?

She began to slowly drag herself toward the direction the breeze was coming from, deciding to take the risk after all.

After about ten grueling minutes that seemed like an eternity with the pain spreading to every inch of her back, 512 turned another corner and the sudden change made her freeze in shock. At the edge of the air vent was another gate, that to look out you had to tilt your head and look up. Behind the gate... was an unfamiliar sight.

For the first time, according to her memory, 512 saw the outside world.

She stopped in shock and stared up at the bright beautiful sky. Slowly her brain kicked into gear and she started wondering why. Then as she continued to look around at the outside world for the first time in who knows how long, she realized that there was something green framing the vent.