Chapter 19

512 stepped out of the hall and blinked squinting against the sun, it's rays continuing to catch her off guard. She glanced around looking for the team she was supposed to be assigned to, but found the courtyard area completely bare. She rolled her eyes and looked around before consenting to lean against the side of the headquarter building, carefully watching each person who walked by wondering who she was going to have to put up now.

At one point she saw the big man who had questioned her, Woura, walked by. He was also scanning the streets and caught her eye. He dipped his head at her seemingly embarrassed to be seen and after a moment she returned his nod. Deciding in the moment to practiced what Riku called 'manners'.

"Sorry we're late." 512 spun around facing the voiced that had come up behind her, as she spun one foot settled behind the other in a low defensive position. She blinked almost surprised by her reaction and stood back up. Old habits die hard, she supposed.

512 looked the two girls she was facing over and fought an urge to stomp back into Ryo's office and demand an explanation. The girls were younger than she was, one with long dark green hair and the other with short red hair. Both wore black ninja style clothes, and both had a mask pulled up to their noses.

"We got lost somewhere on the path of life." They spoke together again, only before squealing softly. Daisuke's words about the mask being popular with the girls cause of some hotshot ninja in the leaf echoed in her head and she groaned softly.

"Fangirls... He paired me with fangirls..." 512 looked toward the hospital in the distance and took a deep breath. She could already hear Kayla laughing at her.

"Anyway." The green haired one spoke. "Thanks for taking Ami's place. She'll be in the hospital for a little while longer so we're thankful for a third team member."

"Yeah otherwise we'd be stuck doing paperwork as missions again."

512 raised an eyebrow Again..? But keeping her composure she replied instead trying to remain as civil as possible, taking more of Riku's advice. "What happened to Ami?"

The green haired girl giggled softly as she replied "She fell out of a tree and broke her leg."

FELL OUT OF A TREE 512's mouth fell open, did Ryo put her on a team of weaklings on purpose? Her blood boiled at the thought of him thinking her as weak as these two. As she stood before them boiling both the girls continued chatting.

"So today our mission is to weed widow Mari's gardens again, but we were wanting to go see Ami in the hospital first?"

Stuck on the wondering question of what a garden was 512 looked confused when they asked her, wanting her permission to go.

"Won't your friend be happier if we finish a mission before seeing her?"

The green haired girl shook her head. "No way, Ami is my sister she'd be happy to see me anytime."

Content with that the two girls hooked arms and began to walk toward the hospital expecting 512 to follow. 512 however was frozen in place the girls words echoing in her mind. Her sister? Did I have a sister? Suddenly the world melted away under her feet.

It was dark and stormy and she saw the girl from before, Midnight, looking at her terrified. "Will this work?!" Midnight asked her voice soft, fear dripping from her words. 512 heard her own fear echo as she remembered replying, her voice bouncing off the walls of the building whose doorway they stood in as rain soaked through their clothes.

"It'll work, I'll find you one day! Until then stay alive." Midnight hugged her abruptly and 512 hugged her back tightly, Midnight whispering in her ear. "Don't forget, I'll be happy to see you anytime." With that Midnight was put into the darkness of the storm instantly gone. 512 felt herself turn around and was surprised to find herself stepping into a barn. She felt the sharp Kunai in her had as she faced the boar she'd hunted earlier. With a sense of rushed time she gutted the boar smearing its blood all over herself then rolled around in the mud before smearing more blood on herself. The reek almost made her sick but thinking of Midnight she was able to continue until she was barely recognizable. White hair matted and copper colored her red eyes staring out abruptly through the muck. Looking down at the boar's ruined body she gave a prayer of thanks before feeling her chakra stir up flames appearing in both hands. Though the body was damp with blood and mud her fire consumed it, burning the corpse until it was ash then burning it more until even the bones crumpled and shattered. By then tears crossed in lines down her face as she cried for her mother, her father, and now the loss of her sister. A voice sounded abruptly at the doorway when suddenly