Chapter 8

The world spun painfully as Kayla rocked back and forth. She struggled to think straight let alone get her bearings. She slowly opened her eyes, but the light flooded her eyes painfully and she squeezed them shut again.  Her head was throbbing painfully with every sudden jerk that was moving her immobilized body. Slowly she opened her mouth to say something, anything really, but all that would come out was a soft groan. She was shocked at how weak her voice sounded but the shock soon faded. Kayla decided not to say anything for a while and after that, quickly found herself slipping back into unconsciousness. Surprisingly she welcomed the feeling of slipping away. For it meant losing the pain that had its claws in the right side of her head.

512 stopped moving as she heard Kayla groan softly and looked at her over her own shoulder. Using a sheet of cloth she had found laying over what looked like a strange small cage she had bound Kayla to her own back, going against the protests of pain and the smarter half of her brain, 512 now carried Kayla almost piggy back style. The only thing that kept her from falling off were the knots 512 had tied in the fabric around her own body. She had also ripped a long strip of the fabric off and wrapped it around Kayla's eyes hoping to help stop the bleeding. It wasn't working very well.

 Another problem 512 had tried to awkwardly fix was trying to clothe Kayla so she wouldn't be completely bare against her own body. People went naked all the time, but 512 didnt like the idea of carrying her that way. After looking for a while the best thing she could find had been some old cloak hidden under a table in a dusty box. She had however, greatfuly wrapped Kayla in it, as something was way better than nothing. 

Getting back up into the air vent had been an interesting thing to accomplished, to say the least. 512 had pushed the heavy table until it was directly under the open vent. That was the easier part. Next she had to lug Kayla up onto the table, and somehow get her into into the vent without dropping her. Considering how often 512 had been using her chakara already, it was fairly exhausted. So using chakara had been out of the question completely. So the next best idea was to get Kayla into the vent safely by trying and climb up with Kayla strapped to her back. 

So that's what 512 did. 

Thankfully the vent was wide enough, or the girls were skinny enough, that they were able to squeeze into the vent with only a little difficultly. The vent creaked a little, as the combined weight was more than before and 512 tensed before relaxing softly. We'll have to get out of here fast... who knows how long this will hold up...  she began to follow the red, now brown trail back to the exit vent. 

Soon though, 512 began to weaken. Both mentally and physically. She had missed three day's worth of meals and had lost a lot of blood. Her head was spinning every time she moved, and if it wasn't for how she only had enough room to crawl forward on her stomach, she probably would of fell over. Eventually she couldn't hardly bear the throbbing pain in her spine anymore and rested, breathing heavily. Suddenly she found herself speaking out loud to Kayla even though it was clear she wouldn't  even hear her, let alone reply.

"Oi you ever think of dieting a little? Your so heavy that your crushing me a bit.  Yeah yeah i bet they fed you the same slop i got. moldy bread right? Sometimes some cheese or something. I'd never eat the suspious meat they gave us... too convent that it was always more plentiful after a big fight."  She realized at simply talking, and being with someone was better than being alone and found herself able to crawl forward slowly.

"I wonder what happened with you..." 512 thought about the blood that had been pouring out of Kayla's eye socket and shuttered slightly.  "It was Elder-sama i bet... I'm sorry." 512 hissed gritting her teeth toward pushing herself farther trying to go faster. "It's all my fault. i shouldn't have gotten separated from you and 514. Or at least have found you sooner." She paused and lifted her hand feeling Kayla's forehead. It was steaming hot to the touch, her temperature was extremely high. 512 pushed forward again feeling the faint breeze once more, feeling like she was running out of time. 

"But don't worry!" She said for herself as much as Kayla. "I'm sure it will work out..."

512 found herself relying on the breeze as a sign of hope and it cooled her down slightly, chilling the sweat that dripped down her chin and plastered her hair to her neck as well as to Kayla. 512 stiffened as she felt Kayla shiver as the breeze intensified. 

After what seemed like forever 512 finally saw the vent again. She exhaled deeply and then paused, something seemed off... Slowly she cautiously creeped forward looking up the vent. To her great surprise the light no longer streamed threw the vent brightly but as a soft glow. Suddenly horrified and scared she had lost the trail or messed something up she lifts the vent with ease this time and slowly lifts her head up looking around cautiously wondering if they were about to fall into a trap of some kind.

To her shock and slight embarrassment she realized the sunlight wasn't as strong only because the sun had sunk lower, closer to the horizon and the abundance of thick tree trunks blocked out a lot of the light, only letting a few rays escape to reach the forest floor.

With a soft huff, 512 pulled herself up out of the vent careful to not squish Kayla, as well as she could without dropping her. As she stood up fully tall her bare toes digging into the soft dirt she smiled slightly breathing in fresh air, that for the first time didn't smell like blood or chemicals. She felt the hope bloom inside of her and smiled brightly, wholeheartedly for the first time perhaps in her whole life.

She looked to the left and then to her right, and suddenly realized she had absolutely no clue where she was going to go next. She slowly started walking after adjusting Kayla's weight on her throbbing back, and decided she would just walk straight onward.

"After all... The forest can't be that big!" She spoke softly yet cheerfully out loud to herself more than Kayla. "...right?"

She would soon find that assumption to be wrong. Very, very wrong.